On camera LED light opinions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old May 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Microbeam 128 is 746 lux at 3 feet NOT diffused. Comer 1800 is 1800+ lux at 3 feet diffused. For Microbeam 128 to be used indoor, have to add the CTO gel. To have a even spread of light, the diffuse filter has to be used too. In that case, it weaken the light output. Comer is ready to be used indoor without any filter and is diffused. But it's true that the Microbeam is a lot more compact in size. :)

Last edited by Taky Cheung; May 14th, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Comer Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I bet to differ. I have been shooting using the Comer light at it's 4500K color temperature. No need to color correct anything at post. The results are beautiful. You can scroll up to see a video I posted earlier. Here's another one. It was done with 3 Comer lights all in 4500K

LA Color - Wedding Photography and Videography serving Great Los Angeles Areas
I've used the Comer light and I personally think that the color correction filters just can't deliver the right color temperature. What happens when you need a 3200K light source? I need a light that will change between daylight and tungsten at a flip of a switch. Any ideas?
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Regular Crew

As far as I know Zylight and the new Lowel Blender are the only two on camera lights that allows to change color temperature without the use of filters or gels.

In addition to a quick 3200 to 5600 button the Zylight allows you to dial just about any color to match existing ambient lights, I have two of the Zylight 90.

Zylight - Intelligent LED Lighting

Lowel Blender
Old May 19th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I upgraded from a couple of LitePanels Micros to MicroBeam 128's. Nice form factor, build quality and more output than the Micro's. Unfortunately, more weight also. Comer's are too bulky for my application, ZyLight would be the ultimate, but I dislike remote power for RNG applications.
Jay Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #20
Major Player

Microbeam 128

Zylight does look very interesting, we use the FloLight Microbeam 128 and build quality is excellent, all aluminum case. Perfect softlight - in my opinion you can't really have any more light up front when interviewing - that would blind anyone in front of the camera and make them uncomfortable, I have to use the dimmer when interviewing..
MicroBeam 128

Last edited by Magnus Helander; May 19th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Magnus Helander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Chang View Post
I've used the Comer light and I personally think that the color correction filters just can't deliver the right color temperature. What happens when you need a 3200K light source? I need a light that will change between daylight and tungsten at a flip of a switch. Any ideas?
4500k is too warm for daylight fill, and bit too cool for 3200 tungsten fill. With an intermediate color temp, it's not ideal for either situation.

Using a 5500k light works for most of what I do: daylight fill and at night when most of the people I'm with are using LED headlamps.

For off-camera lighting I'm gradually converting to daylight sources: LED and fluorescent. Eventually I'd like to get an HMI or two. Daylight sources are a lot more versatile than tungsten. They're easily gelled to match any existing lighting.

If I have to fill in tungsten conditions I add the appropriate filter to drop the VidLED to 3200k. With indoor situations, and for most of what I do, the on-camera light provides additional fill and is often not the primary light source. I don't like to bathe the subject with direct light. So the light is almost always dimmed down. Only if I have to reach out do I crank it up but otherwise I do my best to physically close the gap and be close to the people I'm covering.

The Microbeam 128 just arrived. It's replacing my VidLED, which was also 5500k. Looking forward to working with it.

As for power, I mount a nano-phosphate battery on the back of my shoulder mount. It's out of the way and helps counterbalance the EX1.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I took a look at the Microbeam 128 today and noticed right off the bat that it isn't as weather resistant as the VidLED. The VidLED is a solid plastic block. The Microbeam 128 is a vented fixture with circuit boards and wiring visible through the vents along with an exposed toggle and dimmer knob. So I'll have to come up with a solution to keep it protected from salt spray. Probably a Ziploc bag and gaffer tape.

It's definitely brighter than a VidLED with what looks like a broader beam spread.

Nice compact package. It'll run for a couple of continuous hours at full power off the 13.2 V, 2.2 AH A123 battery packs I built. However most of the time I'll use it at reduced power.

It comes with a minus 1/4 and minus 1/2 green filter. Which one you choose is dependent upon taste I suppose. In my experience all daylight LED lights can use some green filtering, and my limited spectrophotometer testing indicated as much.

I like the form factor and the fact that I can mount it atop my own custom standoff to clear the mic and the windscreen. Some lights have a built-in shoe mount that limits the adaptability and adds additional unwanted bulk. I'd rather see a 1/4" x 20 threaded hole at the base of the light.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #23
Slash Rules!

to my eye a good combination to convert to 3200 with the microbeam is a half cto...youll have to cut it yourself...and the quarter minus green. this is with the 3200 preset wb on an xl2.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
4500k is too warm for daylight fill, and bit too cool for 3200 tungsten fill. With an intermediate color temp, it's not ideal for either situation.
Dean, I posted some video links above that you can take a look. Those are shooting 4500K indoor without any filter. The footage looks great! I stop using the tungsten filter anymore. It's too orange to my taste. But the 4500K indoor is just beautiful.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:14 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Much more expensive but also a higher quality build is the Ianiled 7 from Ianiro.

To be fair they don't sell it as suitable for ENG but it is a lovely piece of kit and you can adjust the colour balance to whatever you want.

Just thought I'd flag it up as something to look at. I'm the proud owner of one and I love it but it is a bit fiddly to use in a "run and gun" and outrageously expensive compared to the far eastern imports.

http://www.ubms.net/product.php?id_product=4129
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:49 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Dean, I posted some video links above that you can take a look. Those are shooting 4500K indoor without any filter. The footage looks great! I stop using the tungsten filter anymore. It's too orange to my taste. But the 4500K indoor is just beautiful.
It's a nice video you put together but with all the mixed lighting it's difficult to tell what the Comer is contributing to the scene.

That was an incredible church. And that limo was huge!
Old May 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Dean, thanks for your nice comment. I guess the whole point is there is no issue using 4500K color temperature mixing in the scene. In fact, the neutral white output is just nice. I didn't have to do anything special in the camera (auto white balance) and no need to color correct in post. The video turns out great.

There is another video here you can see using 4500K color temperature is perfectly fine
LA Color - Susan and Charles 80th Birthday Party
Old May 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
I took a look at the Microbeam 128 today and noticed right off the bat that it isn't as weather resistant as the VidLED. The VidLED is a solid plastic block. The Microbeam 128 is a vented fixture with circuit boards and wiring visible through the vents along with an exposed toggle and dimmer knob. So I'll have to come up with a solution to keep it protected from salt spray. Probably a Ziploc bag and gaffer tape.
Zip lock bag or clear plastic bag works fine. Someone I know said this is a great addition for the light since i puts out practically no heat. I love the Microbeam 128. It comes with everything, and case! How sweet is that?!
Jon Furtado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:33 AM   #29
Slash Rules!

Is that a new thing? Mine just came in a box padded with egg crate. No case for me.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:47 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone for your great input.

Dean, seems like you and I are shooting in similar environments, I am shooting a documentary on extreme surf fishermen in Montauk in NY, here is a link to a teaser;

Weather proofing is very important for me as I spend quite a bit of time filming out on rocks in the surf zone, lots of salt spray and even an occasional immersion. Up until now I have shot a lot of night vision using a homemade IR rig but it's not a look I really like, although the IR lights run cool and are easily waterproofed with condoms. If the Microbeam 128 runs cool enough to be "waterproofed" then it may be the way to go.

Thanks again, Rich.
Richard Siberry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management