DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old June 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #1
New Boot

Same lighting for photography as video?

I have a Canon 10D I use for photos and I just bought a Canon GL2. Before the GL2, I was planning on buying some Alien Bees for lighting my photographs. Now that I have the GL2 it would make sense to buy lighting that I can use for both.
I know that flash photography is different than video, but what can I share so I can cut down on costs?
Michael Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2
Warden

Video needs continuous lighting, whereas stills can benefit from flash photography. If you want to share anything other than the light stands, soft boxes, umbrellas etc. then you'll need to light both mediums with continuous light sources (hot lights). Hot lights present their own set of problems for still photography (try photographing a bowl of ice cream under hot lights) but can be used for most applications. There are numerous discussions concerning the cost, benefits and drawbacks of various different brands of lights. Browse around a little bit, or use the search function and you'll find many discussions on the subject.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I can tell you from my experience, I prefer to use strobes for photography and hot-lights for video. I shoot 800-1000 pics at a time with my D-100 and the strobes do not heat up the room near as much as hot lights. This can be unfomfortable for the model if a 500 watt bulb is placed 2 feet from their head. Plus, a strobe allows a more relaxed eye. The model doesn't squint as much.

My 2 cents.
Scott Balkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the reply. I guess I can save on the accessories, but for the lights themselves it's better if I get ones dedicated to the functions they were made for.
Thanks.
Michael Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #5
Major Player

If your shooting interviews, portraits, and small commercial stuff kinoflos may work for all the above. Flexible color temps by changing bulbs, dimmable, and best of all, they don't get hot.

Draw backs: the light falls off fast and they are a bit pricey. But if your using for both it may be a cost savings.
Patrick Gault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:41 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks, I will check those out.
Michael Le is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management