When will P2 start saving time? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Closed Thread

Old March 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason E. Ramsey View Post
Please don't take my post as a tank on any other software, or workflow preferences.
Jason, no problem, I didn't take it that way it all, but thanks for saying that. It's just that these forums are a great resource (now and in the future) for valuable data and I wouldn't want anyone who happened upon this thread to get the idea that Edius would be their only choice for an editing solution that works well.

Old March 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #17
Panasonic Broadcast

Hi,

I think even with the FCP QT conversion, P2 is still a time saver. I look at what the folks are doing up in Alaska and they have been cutting and posting to the internet fast. Now the pieces aren't polished but our pieces are and it has been just a pleasure to work with. And we are all working with FCP. The tape based team, is starting to see the advantages of the P2. They still have to digitize their footage.

Add to that -37 degrees in the wind and not a single problem. P2 does save time.

Best,

Jan
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I dont like FCP and i dont like Edius...

whats in it for me when i use Axio or Vegas 7? Vegas has a brilliant XDCam MXF manager... better than Avid really..

i know there are workarounds such as Raylight and Cineforms new converter, but lets face it, "working around" is not timesaving.. wrapping in FCP QT is not timesaving, converting is not timesaving, working with on/offline proxy is not timesaving...

its double handing..
I think its time Panasonic went out and got REAL friendly with the NLE makers and offered a viable P2 management solution if they want to see this format survive out in the real world.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
I dont like FCP and i dont like Edius...

whats in it for me when i use Axio or Vegas 7? Vegas has a brilliant XDCam MXF manager... better than Avid really..

i know there are workarounds such as Raylight and Cineforms new converter, but lets face it, "working around" is not timesaving.. wrapping in FCP QT is not timesaving, converting is not timesaving, working with on/offline proxy is not timesaving...
Peter, I can only answer for the XDCAM side of the coin with FCP. Selecting Import from the menu offers up the option to import XDCAM. This invokes Sony's Transfer application. In essence, the Transfer app serves two purposes. It's the replacement for the log and capture process you normally use within the NLE. After you've made your selections, hit Import and you are returned to FCP as your footage gets unwrapped from MXF and placed in the bin. The time savings here is that the footage comes in FASTER THAN REALTIME unlike tape based formats.

I haven't worked with P2, but I believe it's similar in that your log and capture moves outside of the NLE, but the material you ultimately select will be imported much faster than the equivalent amount of tape based footage.

-gb-
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I think its time Panasonic went out and got REAL friendly with the NLE makers and offered a viable P2 management solution if they want to see this format survive out in the real world.
First of all, P2 is *thriving* in the real world. Panasonic can't make the gear fast enough to satisfy the demand for it, and that's a fact. Second, Vegas is a Sony product. If you expect it to ever support P2, you're in for a pretty long wait, because it just ain't gonna happen.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #21
Inner Circle

whats Vegas got to do with the price of fish?
Sorry, but im not talking about Vegas in general here, im talking about FCP, Premiere/Axio.. im also refering to Native MXF editing off the card as this native "edit from the card" has been a used for marketing of the P2 system now for as long as i can remember.. even before the HVX was announced...
Old March 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #22
Panasonic Broadcast

Quote:
whats Vegas got to do with the price of fish?
Sorry, but im not talking about Vegas in general here, im talking about FCP, Premiere/Axio.. im also refering to Native MXF editing off the card as this native "edit from the card" has been a used for marketing of the P2 system now for as long as i can remember.. even before the HVX was announced...
Hey Peter,

We are real friendly with a good number of NLE manufacturers. Some choose to do things one way and others do another way. How the NLEs choose to work with MXF isreally individual. The two that seem to look and maintain the metadata is the Matrox Axio and the Canopus Edius. I think that if customers want it the NLE guys will grow to support it. It isn't that we don't want it, but the NLE guys need to know it is the customers that want it. Making it for us, doesn't grow market share, doing it for customers does.

Anyhow the P2 is doing very well and frankly couldn't be stronger in the market. And now after the production with the Iditarod crews shooting with P2 HD across the entire Iditarod Trail with P2, they are looking forward to just sitting down and editing. They had a couple of mishaps on the trail where a viewfinder got hit, but a quick change out solver that. And other than that they never lost a shot, they never used the camera gloves that we had made, even at its coldest at Finger Lake at -57 degrees(F) I know all the guys had a great time shooting and posting to the internet and I found it facinating that they had stuff up on their site within hours of an event on the trail.

The 16GB card will be along very soon and 32GBs will be here by the end of the year. And as far as the pricing of them, I am sworn to secrecy until NAB.

All the best,

Jan
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders