Rec lamp question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Rec lamp question

A potentially stupid question, but . . .

About the rec lamp. In the menu, you can select FRONT, REAR, or BOTH.

How come when I select FRONT (for example) the record lamp always flashes regardless of whether or not I'm actually recording? I thought the lamp was only supposed to flash when recording. Mine flashes all the time. Same with the REAR and BOTH settings. They flash all the time.

Is this normal?

Also,

The BEEP SOUND option in the menu. I have mine set to ON, but my camera never beeps. Is it supposed to beep when you start recording? Or at some other time.

Thanks.
Ryan Maes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 06:43 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Rec lamp flashes when you're low on battery or critically low on recording time.

Yes, the beep would beep when you start and stop recording (or, at least, it's supposed to!)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

No beeps

Come to think of it, I've never heard mine beep either. Maybe the "beep" is when you're using the remote, so the camera sends an audible signal that it's taken the command.

I'll test this today.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Rec lamp flashes when you're low on battery or critically low on recording time.

Yes, the beep would beep when you start and stop recording (or, at least, it's supposed to!)
Thanks, Barry. It turns out that my P2 card was almost full. Some peace-of-mind. At last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Come to think of it, I've never heard mine beep either. Maybe the "beep" is when you're using the remote, so the camera sends an audible signal that it's taken the command.

I'll test this today.
Please do. I will check back later to see what you find out.

Mine only beeps when the p2 card is full. It doesn't beep when I start/stop recording, or when I use the remote.

Hmmm...

Last edited by Ryan Maes; June 30th, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
Ryan Maes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Maes
Thanks, Barry. It turns out that my P2 card was almost full. Some peace-of-mind. At last.

Please do. I will check back later to see what you find out.

Mine only beeps when the p2 card is full. It doesn't beep when I start/stop recording, or when I use the remote.

Hmmm...
I assume beeps are like what you have on a tape camera...on my Beta, it started beeping when I had only one minute of tape left, or was low on battery. It's a warning, not a tally type of thing. Would you really want it to beep every time you started or stopped a shot? I think that'd get REALLY irritating. Especially on starting a shot, since it'd ruin the beginning of the take (or more than the beginning, if you're in Prerec Mode.)

--- Yup, just tested it. It beeps exactly when you run out of card space. In a way, I prefer that to listening to 60 seconds of beeping (and worrying that my headphones might bleed onto the talent's mic) while rolling out the last, invariably critical take.
Old July 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

My HVX does not beep during REC/PAUSE operations, and the red tally light does illuminate when in REC mode. So, I'm assuming that unlike the Z1 the HVX does not beep when key entries are made or, verifying the REC button is pressed. It must be strictly for the P2-limit warning.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders