Boy, am I confused!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Boy, am I confused!!

I just looked at the HVX Ops manual Jan alerted us to. I'm hoping you guys can help me clarify something:

On page 131 of the manual it lists the recording formats. Under the "DVCPRO HD" list it shows 720P/30PN. However in the notes underneath it says, "The 720P/30PN and 720P/24PN formats are not included in the DVCPRO HD recording format."

Does that mean the "native" version of those formats is not part of the standardized DVCPRO HD format because "native" refers to the specific chips used in the HVX or, that it's not an HD format period? (Naw, that 'cain't be it)

Damn it Jim, I'm not a chipset/camera/format-engineer, I'm a cinemaphotographer!

Anybody have some clarification on this one?
Old January 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

did u see the nice graph explaining exactly how and what N is? (page 34)

its simply active frames thats recorded...
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

DVCPRO-HD is a SMPTE-codified standard that operates at 100 megabits, in 720p mode it's always, always 60 frames per second.

In the HVX under "native" mode, it's not always 100 megabits nor 60 frames per second. It's the exact same format, except storing only the frames that are necessary. So it's sort of an extension to the SMPTE-codified DVCPRO-HD format.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders