Is the HVX component output before or after compression? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Both the Mac Pro & the RAID server were both brand new, had been tested and were working perfectly when we started, but shooting conditions just got to them. By the end of the shoot, neither would come up and were sent off for repair. We were shooting in a dusty warehouse with a bunch of lights so it probably overheated, but this is very much real-world. This kind of stuff might work in a studio, but I wouldn't take a chance on it in the field. The clients were looking REALLY upset when they found out the high-quality uncompressed footage was gone.
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Trustee

How does this process work - capturing to an HDV camera from the analog component output?
Could you do this as back-up while capturing to P2?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:00 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
How does this process work - capturing to an HDV camera from the analog component output?
Not sure what you mean... you can't capture *to* an HDV camera. You can only capture *from* it. You can use an HDV camera as a deck and record with it, but only through FireWire or the standard definition analog input. HD component video is output only. I think you probably meant to ask how can you capture *from* an HDV camera from the analog component output, and you can do that with a component video capture card on your computer, just remember that the camera's analog component output is video only.

Quote:
Could you do this as back-up while capturing to P2?
Again, you don't capture to P2, in fact you really don't capture from it either, not in the strict sense of the term because P2 uses an edit-ready file format called MXF and what you do to get it into your editing system is called ingest, not capture. If you want to back up your P2 data, you simply copy the files once they're ingested.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #19
Regular Crew

To make this clear:
We capture from 5 hvx's through the component output to uncompressed hd.
The workflow is taxing, but it still works -;)

Thing is (for me) it seems like it is well worth the extrea bandwith and hassels, but that might be exclusively me.

Gunleik
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:50 PM   #20
Trustee

Sorry, i guess my question was a little stupid, and the term capturing to P2 may have been technically incorrect - I jsut meant recording to P2. I just didn't understand what a previous post was saying about using Sony HDV cameras and was trying to clarify. I got the impression they were using it with an HVX and the analogue oputputs but that was mistaken.

I still don't get what Gunleik is doing. How are you recording and why? What are the pros & cons?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders