Dolly Ideas...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 11th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Dolly Ideas...?

Anyone have any Dolly recommendations?

HVX-BREVIS-Lenses-Marshall monitor on board so there will be some weight.

Looking for under 1000 bucks, and shots with some hight or hi hat capable so I can go left-right AND north-south.

limited low budget crew, so the ones where you need someone to push isn't my top choice, unless those are superior in your opinion to the likes of the many ladder dollys out there.

My knock on the dollys I've seen thus far is that they don't have a high hat (esp. ladder ones) to get some height above the rig to go north-south shots.

Any ideas? There's so many out there and I've read all the reviews, that I'd rather put it out to you guys now for some feedback.

Thanks much in advance!
Justin
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Connor View Post
My knock on the dollys I've seen thus far is that they don't have a high hat (esp. ladder ones) to get some height above the rig to go north-south shots.
Can you explain what you mean by that? Are you talking about the ability to boom like a jib?
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

It won't fit your budget (you can rent it instead of purchase) but the CamTram dolly is one of the most versatile I've ever used; it has a built-in Hi-Hat that even allows for under-slung shooting.

Check out http://www.camtramsystem.com; a few of the forum sponsors such as Abel Cine/LA rent this unit.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4
New Boot

RE: Anyone have any Dolly recommendations?

Go to the Digital Juice website and search through their tutorials. One of them is for an affordable and easy to build track dolly. I downloaded the plans on Wednesday, made some alterations, gave the plans to one of our engineers and he bought supplies on Thursday and had it ready for a shoot on Friday. The thing worked like a $5,000 dolly. I was beyond impressed. Oh, BTW, it cost less than $100 to build, including track. It was also very easy to put together and didn't require too many tools.
Cliff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #5
New Boot

Matthews Briefcase Dolly

Not sure if this is of interest to you, but I have 2 Matthews Briefcase Dollies. Each fold up into a single briefcase and when opened the solid briefcase locks into place, which in turn becomes the platform. They can fit in airline baggage. Has a set of track wheels as well as a set of hard surface wheels. They can hold up to 500lbs, and though portable, they are professional in quality - unlike some of the lightweight dv stuff. Not trying to knock other gear out there for we all have different needs. I use these dollies for my 35mm cameras down to my HVX's and DVX and always have solid, smooth moves. Here is a link:

http://www.msegrip.com/mse.php?show=...ducts_ID=25526

Had both dollies running tandem on track with HVX's, marshall's, camera operators (one dolly also had the focus puller as well as operator on it) for a series I was shooting and the moves were great - got wide and punched in dolly shots all in one move.

They are rather expensive, but I have been intending to sell one of them (as well as a ton of other great gear), I just haven't gotten around to listing them on ebay. $1000 and it's yours (or who ever might be interested). Apologies if it is inappropriate to post this kind of info in this thread.
Dale Hildebrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks y'all....

i appreciate the info....

let me think on that briefcase dolly -- it looks nice but might be out of my budget.

cheers and thanks again.
justin
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Might wanna check this out.

http://www.omni-tracker.com/

-steev
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Dale. . . you have an email.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

omni tracker looks great

Thanks Steev, I will check that out.

Cheers,
Justin
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #10
Go Go Godzilla

Axis Dolly

Here's another option I just learned about today and plan to test: http://www.axisdolly.com .

Think of a melding of the Skater and Omni-Tracker dolly concepts but with a few more tricks up it's sleeve than either. Far less costly than the Skater, but more than the Omni. Check it out.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #11
New Boot

I can totally recommend the axis dolly. Seth Wise is also very on the ball with questions/support. It's built like a brick sh*thouse, so holds enough weight to do some very smooth trackless pans. I've only used it with a tripod attatched, but great results.

He also provides an excel castor-angle-guage, so while not laser guided like the skator, it's functions are the same.
Mike Connolly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders