Portable Media Player for AVCHD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old July 10th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Portable Media Player for AVCHD?

Since the GH1 can't play back native 24P video, does anyone have a recommendation for reviewing footage in the field? Obviously, a laptop would do the job, but I would be thrilled if I could find a portable device capable of playing AVCHD for less than $300... Any thoughts?
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Check out portable Blue-Ray players with a SD card reader. Unfortunately, most that I've seen are more than $300-. Then again, most laptops struggle with AVCHD footage.

An internet tablet like the Archos 5 or 7 or 9 might be able to do it, but the specs seem to say 720p @ 2.5Mbps or so.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Kin - I had looked at the Archos tablets, and I think the 5 and 7 would not play AVCHD - at least, they don't advertise it. I'll have to check out the 9 series - don't think I have seen one yet.

Shortly after posting my question, I came across the Cowon V5, which claims to support "H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)" and M2TS, so that seems somewhat hopeful. However, Cowon claims a maximum resolution of 1280x720, but offers no insight into bitrate.

I guess I'll have to run up to Fry's some time this week with some footage and see what they have to offer...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series