panasonic hc-x1 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old December 19th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: panasonic hc-x1

Sensor size and resolution have the biggest impact on low light performance the price of the camera isn’t always relevant. The fs100 has a larger sensor and lower resolution so it’s not surprising it performs better in low light.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #77
Regular Crew

I agree, I posted one in low light up to 12 dB, thought it was really acceptable
Old December 20th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #78
Trustee

I think a lot of people have been spoiled by seeing Red and A7sII footage in movies and online, and get this internal mechanism telling them everything should look like that. Most prosumer cameras are not really getting better in low light, maybe just cleaner at lower gain settings, but raw sensitivity and s/n ratio drop as they add more and more pixels to the little sensors.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
Not great in low light? Strange because the videos I have seen on youtube seems very nice in low light.
I know my sony FS100 will outperform the HC-X1 in low light but it's for shooting stage shows mostly and run and gun.
I was comparing it to my previous Sony EA50 (APS-C sensor).
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Users with this camcorder are still happy with their purchase?
Is it good in low light? If it's better than my sony HXR-NX3 with 3x 1/2.8-inch Exmor that would be nice.

The 1080p is sharper than my sony.(based on youtube videos I saw)
Tom, I've used a NX3 quite a bit, and the and although I haven't compared them side by side, the UX180/HC-X1 is a quite bit better in low light. The UX180 is also definitely sharper.

I got my UX180 a few weeks ago and just posted a review to my web site.

Panasonic AG-UX180 Review - mike-warren.net

Here's a test of the UX180's 30x iZoom

Old December 25th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #81
Trustee

A recommended the UX180 to a friend a few months ago, and he just unloaded it because he found the gain to difficult to change in a fast paced ENG environment. Apparently, every time you want o change gain, you have to enable the operation....EVERY TIME. He found it infuriating, and also commented the lens was full of magenta/green chromatic aberrations. Was very good in low light though. :-)

Paul
Old December 25th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #82
Regular Crew

SWIT batteries are fine, I have two, I got mine ( and the camera) from Pro AV.- a great shop
Old December 25th, 2017, 03:13 AM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Warren View Post
Tom, I've used a NX3 quite a bit, and the and although I haven't compared them side by side, the UX180/HC-X1 is a quite bit better in low light. The UX180 is also definitely sharper.

I got my UX180 a few weeks ago and just posted a review to my web site.

Panasonic AG-UX180 Review - mike-warren.net

Here's a test of the UX180's 30x iZoom

https://youtu.be/mn9MOHZCsok
thx Michael for this reply. It's the sharpness I'm missing from my NX3. When I just see the 1080p images from the HC-X1 is like you said sharper. I just read the review on your website. When you have time I would like to see the NX3 vs HC-X in lower light. Thx for your time!
Tom Van den Berghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:33 AM   #84
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
A recommended the UX180 to a friend a few months ago, and he just unloaded it because he found the gain to difficult to change in a fast paced ENG environment. Apparently, every time you want o change gain, you have to enable the operation....EVERY TIME. He found it infuriating,
For me, the gain very easy to adjust. There's a dedicated button that switches between 3 preset gains. I have mine set to 0, 6 and 12 dB. Then, after pressing that button, just press the menu wheel once to engage full gain adjustment in 1dB steps.

Quote:
also commented the lens was full of magenta/green chromatic aberrations.
I find chromatic aberration is very well controlled. There is a little purple fringing on edges that are blown out, but I've always seen that as a side effect of Bayer sensors.

Quote:
Was very good in low light though. :-)
I guess that depends on what it's being compared to. I find low light performance to be adequate.:-)
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #85
Trustee

Yeah, the push, push, then adjust, then push push then adjust again, for each shot, is quite exhaustive in night ENG, where gain is practically the only thing you really adjust.

After seeing some UX180 wide open video clips, I can agree the lens flares a bit and exhibits CA, but to get 20x 24mm bolted in front of a 1" sensor, you would expect as much.

Paul
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Van den Berghe View Post
When you have time I would like to see the NX3 vs HC-X in lower light. Thx for your time!
My friend who owns the NX3 actually asked me if I wanted to borrow it again over the Christmas break, but I declined. He's away until the end of January, I think. I'll try to remember to ask him for it when he get's back to town. You might have to remind me.
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:50 AM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Yeah, the push, push, then adjust, then push push then adjust again, for each shot, is quite exhaustive in night ENG, where gain is practically the only thing you really adjust.
How is it done on other cameras? My memory from the old days is that there was a 3 position switch. Beyond that, it was quite complicated.
Old March 30th, 2018, 09:09 PM   #88
Regular Crew

What SDHC or SDHX cards & class ratings do I need for FHD 50P. Pity can't switch straight to 100FPS by user switch. How do you go when switching ti Intelligent Zoom ? Pete Constable
Pete Constable is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders