AG-DVC80 various topics - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old February 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #106
Major Player

Shouldn't there be some way to get the dvc80 to do progressive?

I mean it's got the same ccd as the dvx right? Does anyone know if it's the same inside only having the dvx features ie. 24p, cine-gamma, cine-matrix etc. disabled via firmware?

Would it be possible for someone with the right expertise to "flash" a dvc80 to a dvx100?

Just curious.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #107
Space Hipster

Unlikely - it's probably got a different circuit board etc. inside. The cost and voidiing your warranty seems not worth it, even if it could be done. Just sell the DVC80 and buy a DVX100 - great prices on new and slightly used.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #108
Regular Crew

DS5 won't connect to DVC80 - warning

I just got a Miller DS5, and tried to mount my DVC80.

The screw in the DS5 plate is too short!

It looks like it needs to be about 1/4 inch longer to mount the DVC80 to the tripod. Now it won't even reach the DVC80 threads.

I called Miller support. They were courteous and responded promptly, but were unable to resolve issue in time for my next shoot... so the tripod goes back to B/H tomorrow.

WARNING:
If you DVC80 or DVX100 on a DS5 head, check and make sure that it is mating the full length of the threaded part of the mounting screw.

<snip>

But i have to admit other than this problem the Miller solo is a great system. Great motion. Solid, simple, construction, and the carbon fiber legs are unbeliveably rigid.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #109
Outer Circle

Maybe Pana is at fault, and not Miller.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:32 PM   #110
Regular Crew

OK.

Tried Miller mounting plate on my TRV900.

It mounts securely... barely.

However, the Miller mounting plate only connects to the 900 by about two screw threads. Maybe 1/16".

My cheapo manfrotto mounting plate connects all the way down, maybe 1/4 inch.

The reason Miller won't connect to panny is that the panny mounting screw threads begin about 1/16 (approx) below the chassis. I expect that's the panny magnesium frame they're (rightly) so proud of.

Thanks Frank
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #111
Space Hipster

I mounted my ex-DVX100's on a couple of Bogen heads just fine. That's wild about the Miller. I sold my larger Bogen with my DVX100s and due to my tight budget replaced it with a Bogen MDeVe that was very lightweight CF and hundreds cheaper than the Miller which if I had the money, I would have ordered...
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:51 PM   #112
Regular Crew

I expect it's a one time thing.

Maybe Panasonic problem, maybe Miller problem.

Maybe somebody dropped one wrong screw in a bin somewhere in Australia two months ago. Maybe Panasonic recessed the screw threads too much.

Dunno.

After talking to Miller it's clear they will do whatever they have to to make it right.

I'm just freaking out because i'm in a time bind.
Old February 12th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #113
Regular Crew

Follow up:

Miller's west coast support has identified proper screw, and given me a source to get it quickly.

Miller support is really trying to fix this. I'm impressed.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:13 PM   #114
Regular Crew

DVC80: Am I Missing Something?

Ok I just got my DVC80. Its a lot bigger than I expected (not a problem)and I like the huge viewfinder. However I notice that something seem to be missing. Is there supposed to be a strap to attach the lens cap to the camera. Without this, one could loose very easily. One other question has anybody used 80 minute tapes with this cam and was there a problem? Thanks.

David
David Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM   #115
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello David,
Congratulations on your new cam!

I have the 100 and 100A, not the 80, but perhaps I can offer some replies that I believe are true for the 80.

No, there is no strap provided for the lens cap. If you feel you need one you can easily get a 3rd party strap from a camera store.

Panasonic does not recommend using 80 min cassettes with the DVX100/A and may also have the same recommendation for you DVC80 (see the manual). This may seem odd since Panasonic manufactures 80 min cassettes. But the recommendation is due to the thinner tape material required to fit the tape into the mini DV cassettes. It's more prone to breakage and distortion with prolonged usage. My advice: if you really need to use an 80 min cassette be sure that it's a record-once/playback-once deal. Don't reuse it and don't put it through the rigors of complex edit cueing in a deck.

I hope this helps.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:01 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Thanks Ken. I know about all the reasons that have been advanced about not using 80 min tapes and also about using LP. However I have been using them with my TRV950 and other cams with no problems. I was just wondering if there was something about the DVC80 that would cause it to be more prone to breakage than other cams. Thanks again.

David
David Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #117
Tourist

DVC80 or DVX100 + NLE ????

I am in the market for a new cam and am waffling between
the DVC80 which will do everything I currently need in a cam or a DVX100 (not DVX100a) for ~$800 more which would enable me room to grow with it's Progressive features. I know this is my decision to make but should the fact that I still use FCP 3.02 in Mac OS9 and have no plans to move to FCP 4 or OSX anytime soon have any bearing on the decision, i.e. would I even be able to work with the "P" footage on my current setup?

I am a multimedia developer using a Sony TRV8 for the last 5 yrs but have within the last couple of years been moving into corporate video production and am well past a cam upgrade methinks. I also considered a GL2 and it can be had at a good price now, but I have been my own equipment purchaser for many years now and know the economic value of spending more up front for features you don't even know you need yet than finding 1-2 yrs down the road that you could use them.

Any help would be appreciated,

Kevin
Kevin Hammlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #118
Regular Crew

When you upgrade to a higher quality camera, it's going to be tough not to upgrade alot of other stuff. You do need FCP 4.0 to edit 24PA footage, but you could edit 24P normal footage with it. This would give you the "film look" but not true 24p DVDs. You said you're doing multimedia, so I can see how you can pass on 24p DVD or even 24p Quicktime and WMV, they all just look to good to pass on in my view.

I would say if your can swing not only the $800 difference but maybe twice (even 3x) that to include some of the other stuff you will find you need to support the DVX100 as it should be, then go for it. Between the DVC80 and GL2, you just need to weigh feature for feature and pick what will serve you best for what you do.

-Rodger
Old March 8th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #119
New Boot

I think it depends on how soon you want to grow.
I'd get the DVC80 now, then upgrade to a HD camera in 2-3 years, when you should be able to get one for the price of the DVC80 now. Technology is advancing too fast to pay extra for something you don't need right now.
Monte Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Does anyone have any DVC-80 clips posted for viewing
Bob Fitzgibbon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant