Need advice on new camera, ac130, xf100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:53 AM   #1
Tourist

Need advice on new camera, ac130, xf100?

I'm looking to move up to a more advanced video camera, to gain better control over exposure and focus and to get some of the features that can only (currently) be had on a video camera. I currently have Sony HD-HC1, Canon HV30 and a Nikon D7000. I like the picture quality of the D7000 but still find it more cumbersome for shooting with less setup (kids sports, events).

I'm looking in the $2500 to $3500 (absolute max) range. Thus far I'm considering AC130 (would like 160 for overcrank but it breaks the budget). Also considering the Canon fx100. Any thoughts about these 2? Any others I should consider? I am strictly an enthusiastic hobbyist. Image quality is my highest priority, then good controls with good ergonomics.
Leslie Pestaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Need advice on new camera, ac130, xf100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Pestaina View Post
I currently have Sony HD-HC1, Canon HV30 and a Nikon D7000. I like the picture quality of the D7000 but still find it more cumbersome for shooting with less setup (kids sports, events).
The FX100 is smaller, which will make it less cumbersome. The AC130 has a significantly longer zoom, which is good for events. Currently the AC130 is on sale to make way for the AC130A.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Also take a look at the Canon XA10, great camera and at a lower cost then the XF100 or AC130. I have both the AC130 and the XA10 and the picture quality on both is very good. The XA10 is better in low light. The XA10 is too small and the AC130 is to big. :) The AC130 is wonderful to use where the touch screen on the XA10 is not the best for me.

I hope this helps.
Jeffrey Fuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for your response. Yes it helps, I was considering the XA10 but I want readily accessible controls. I do like to form factor of the xf100, but I like the ring controls on the ac130. I've been trying to find some downloadable raw footage so I can compare clips from each camera.

Also, thanks to the previous poster who also provided some input.
Leslie Pestaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Once you have 3-rings, you won't know how you ever survived without them and won't want to ever go back. Canon isn't really in this market anymore whereas Panasonic, JVC and Sony have several models to choose from. There's no place to go after the XF100 unless you are ready to jump to the $7k range XF300. If you haven't looked at JVC, they recently announced some new cameras
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I agree Les!!

Besides I do not like touch screens anyway!!! I even curse using my Android phone!!

With my AC-130's I have made up a simple aluminium rail system under the cam with an offset shoulder pad and two grips in front on handles and voila ..I have a shoulder mount camera!!

The EVF on most cameras seems to be a tiny 0.45" and I just cannot focus well with such a tiny screen so I have a loupe on my LCD which gives me a huge EVF to use...it really works well either handheld or tripod mounted.

If you are a auto-focus person then just beware that for long extended periods at fixed focal distances the 130 needs to go over to manual otherwise it gets "bored" and starts hunting for no reason!!! However if you are moving and changing subject the AF is awesome!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Tourist

I'm leaning towards the ac130 because the man reason I'm considering a "real" video camera, vs getting another DSLR is because I want real video controls. The only thing holding me back is that I'm trying to find footage that shows what the camera can do. Thus far, most of what I've found are test clips of limited value to me. Can anyone point me to footage (preferably something minimally compressed that I can download) that shows what the camera can do?
Leslie Pestaina is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders