Using your camcorder on vacations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using your camcorder on vacations

Just wondering if any of you use your professional camcorders on family vacations? I took the HMC-150 and a monopod with me on vacation, but occasionally got looks from security guards. In fact some security guards forbid me to use my monopod (places like Lincoln Center and Rockefellar Center in NY).

And while I saw plenty of tourists using DLSRs, none use professional camcorders.
Gregory Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Using your camcorder on vacations

I took my HMC-40 on a trip to Idaho and to Lava Beds National Park, no problems.

The people in Idaho assumed that I must be from the local TV Station and no hassles in the National Park.

So, I guess it's where and what you're filming that will decide how much of a hassle you'll get.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Major Player

I used it once when we went camping a PD150, I got really good quality images but I was so drawn to the camera I did not enjoy the vacation. I keep making sure the camera is secure plus my kids hated me as the camera is drawing attention from other people.

I bought a Flip Ultra HD and that's all I need.
Old July 19th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Major Player

Took my Z1U on a family apple picking outing shortly after I got it, largely to test and practice. Otherwise, I'd typically rather not bother with the weight and fuss.

My GH2, on the other hand.... that and/or my Olympus EPL1 go everywhere.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:32 AM   #5
Trustee

My HPX371 and my nikon D300 now stay firmly in my bag at home and I carry my i-fone 4 or the canon HF11 on vacation as they are a lot lighter!
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Since my HMC's are used almost daily to make me a living I don't think that pro cameras are needed on vacation...(plus they are shoulder-mount too!!!)

Do you really want to get back home and start editing??? For me all I need is my little Lumix FZ7 which takes nice stills and it's a welcome break from the edit desk, real estate offices and wedding venues!!!

You can get plenty of memories with just stills!!

I guess if I wasn't doing video for a living, I too would grab something that I could slip into my pocket just to record those vacation special moments....you are going on vacation to relax so you certainly don't want to spend all your time setting up gear and previewing footage!! If you want to go to a special area with the intent of making a good documentary then by all means do it and take everything BUT don't call it your vacation!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:45 PM   #7
Major Player

Gregory,

Here's an interesting project relative to your question:

Street Photographers test freedom to shoot in London: Digital Photography Review
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Get the latest (and last) generation of Flup UltraHD. 60fps, and a pretty darn good image stabilization make it vastly superior to the image produced by an iphone4, but it doesnt weigh you down or add an extra bag to carry (these days i even find my Canon Vixia too bulky for an always-there cam). the biggest sell point (to me) about these cams is that they literally take less than three seconds to turn on and start shooting with. This is invauluable on vacations and when catching "moments"

Right now theyre on clearance everywhere. Spend the extra $20 for the wide-angle lens they make for it. sometimes you really need that extra bit of width and its also light and easy to carry around.
Rick Presas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders