Which Brand of SDHC card is Best? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old March 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Which Brand of SDHC card is Best?

Since the HMC150 has been around for awhile, are there any comments about problems with any particular brand of SDHC card?
David Peddicord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I would say the Panasonic and San Disk Class 10's would be your absolute safest bet.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Stay away from buying discs online from Hong Kong sources and the like, such as those selling on eBay. You may think you are buying a name brand, but it may be a knock off or mislabeled. Otherwise, your luck is likely to be similar with any 'name' brand. Name any brand and you can find lots of people who have had problems with discs by that maker, and more who are perfectly happy. The most important thing is to first test your card thoroughly before committing it to use on an important job. It's a good idea to always format the card in your camera, and first thing to do is test it by filling the card with data (this can be done on a computer) and then copy the data off the card to verify it's ok. If the card passes this test, it's safe to say it will probably provide good service for you for quite awhile. Of course, after years of use, you might want to replace your old cards. If one is going to fail, it will likely do so pretty quickly, or when rather old.

Good luck,
Robert

PS, I've always felt Lexar makes a good disc, but then again there are some people who would never buy one, your mileage may vary.
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #4
New Boot

I have used PNY 16gb class (4) and Sandisk 32gb class (4) cards with good success. Just got done shooting about 20 hours of hockey and all the clips transferred without issue. I had to dump the cards repeatedly throughout the weekend and re-format. They performed great.
Class (4) is the minimum suggested by Panasonic for the HMC-150. I was contemplating buying higher class cards but was also trying to keep the cost down. I feel pretty confident about these two brands/ speeds now.
Mike Juhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just for what it's worth, I had used Sandisk class 4's and found them usable. However, I see a significant speed increase with the class 10's when formatting the cards in the camera and transferring files to the computer. However, I also see a significant increase in price difference too!
Pete Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Patriot Memory - Patriot Flash Memory Cards

Patriot IRIS SDHC memory cards
- They are designed specifically for professional video recording
- They benchmark very fast ( 17 MB/sec write speed, 20 MB/sec read speed )
- They come with a 5 year warranty
- They cost about the same as other brands ( in Canada: $45 for a 16GB, $100 for a 32GB )
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders