Does anyone know how youtube works in this case? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 15th, 2022, 01:15 AM   #1
also known as Ryan Wray

Does anyone know how youtube works in this case?

I've been wanting to work with another filmmaker on youtube filmmaking videos about how to shoot certain types of scenes from movies, and I wanted to post scenes from actual movies that we are trying to be inspired by to do similarly, and show how do to so in the videos.

However, whenever I try to include a clip from a movie for the project, and upload it it to youtube, youtube will immediately remove the video on copyright grounds. If I am doing something wrong, then that is totally fine :).

However, you see all these other videos on youtube where filmmakers go over how scenes from movies are shot, but youtube will actually allow them to upload the scenes and they do, without youtube deleting their videos.

So I am wondering, how is it that others can get away with that, even if it's just for educational filmmaking videos? Their videos are still up there, where as if I try to show the clip from the movie, the video is immediately deleted from youtube.

I've tried contacting youtube about this twice now, but they never got back to me about it. Does anyone know more about how youtube works, and how others get away it? Thanks you very much for any advice on this! I really appreciate it!
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2022, 02:40 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Does anyone know how youtube works in this case?

Copyright laws vary from country to country, in some you're allowed to use extracts for fair use purposes, such as education.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ial-30100.html

Copyright law is pretty complex. Some countries are very tight on fair use and the use may also depend on who you are, for example, if you're an established educationist or working through an educational establishment.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2022, 02:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I would suggest watching Youtube movie reaction channels to see what is possible. Generally you have to reduce the volume or remove the audio for any section with recognizable music. It also has to be broken up into very short segments, sometimes they speed up the video a bit or only show a picture in picture view or put a watermark over the movie. It's a bit of cat and mouse game what's allowed.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2022, 10:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you visited the YT help section and searched “using copyrighted material”? You may find your answer there.
Old March 16th, 2022, 08:45 AM   #5
also known as Ryan Wray

Okay thanks. I have looked it up before but it's kind of vague with a lot of unanswered specifications I have about it in order to understand it.

But if I speed up the video or use watermarks for example, it's hard to make the video educational on filmmaking if the audience has to watch slightly sped up or slowed down footage with a watermark on it.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2022, 07:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Educational use is permitted in most jurisdictions, but it is all down to context. The people who do these videos a lot know by trial and error what they can get away with. Clearly the copyright owners are NOT supportive, so what people really want to do is break the law in a way that won't trigger the auto delete, or ring the bells. There are no specifics for staying within, because the goal posts are continually moved as a result of legislation ot copyright holder pressure. Adjusting the size within the frame, reversing left to right, removing all audio, changing speed, blurring parts of the images - all have been tried but the ones that work better are more difficult to watch - especially if you want to highlight certain bits of the content.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2022, 11:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Educational use is permitted in most jurisdictions, but it is all down to context. The people who do these videos a lot know by trial and error what they can get away with. Clearly the copyright owners are NOT supportive, so what people really want to do is break the law in a way that won't trigger the auto delete, or ring the bells. There are no specifics for staying within, because the goal posts are continually moved as a result of legislation ot copyright holder pressure. Adjusting the size within the frame, reversing left to right, removing all audio, changing speed, blurring parts of the images - all have been tried but the ones that work better are more difficult to watch - especially if you want to highlight certain bits of the content.
It's funny Ryan questions and difficulties always revolve around copying Hollywood movies. For commentary/how to videos it makes more sense but he just needs to be a little more flexible and accepting of the restrictions. The reality like it or not there are too many videos posted on Youtube for them to humanly screen so they have these copyright algorithms. Yes they're annoying but the work arounds we both suggested work fairly well. This is the compromise if you want use a free service to monetize your content. There are other paid platforms that aren't as restrictive. You don't need much of the source material to make this type of video. The audience will either know the film or they can watch the movie to see the entire scene if they want.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; March 17th, 2022 at 12:26 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion