DVCPro to PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 21st, 2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCPro to PC?

Found a really good deal on a Panasonic DVCPro 50. - https://cinequipt.com/products/panas...-50-camcorder/ . BUT - I'm not seeing ANY easy / inexpensive way to get DVCPro footage to my PC. Is there such a thing?

Evan Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2021, 08:57 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: DVCPro to PC?

If and this is a big IF the camera has the optional SDI board in it, this is the board

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801

Then the goal of getting the images out of the camera becomes a lot easier. What I have done with cameras of this vintage that are tape-based is to play out the tape from the camera through the SDI port and then capture that SDI stream into an Atomos Ninja Blade, Ninja V or a BM Video Assist recorder via their SDI inputs. Capturing the stream as a Prores or Avid codec file. Then it's just a matter of importing your file from the SSD or HDD or SD card of the Atomos/Video Assist and away you go. If you want to shoot straight into one of the Atomos/Video Assist recorders you can do that directly from the camera. You have to run a cassette in the camera with the camera time code set to Record Run to trigger the recorders. With the recorders set to trigger via the incoming embedded SDI time code, the recorders will stop/start every time you stop/start the record on the AJD.

Without no SDI output on the camera then you do really need a DVC Pro 50 deck with SDI out to keep life simple.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info.. Dang. So I'm looking at another $500+ easy it sounds like, on top of the camera. At that point, not sure it's worth it? Looking at a deal for maybe $600 for 2 cameras, selling one might be tough, but would help recoup SOME costs, but then $500 for the equipment IF one of the cameras has that board. So probably a pass on the camera. :(

Oh, is there a way to tell if the camera has that board?

Old August 22nd, 2021, 04:13 AM   #4
Trustee

From memory, there is a setting in the menu for SDI output if the SDI board is fitted. Don't ask me which menu though. It was a long time ago and the old brain is fading!

ChrisYoung
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2021, 09:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Dang. Ok, thanks. So sounds like as much as I'd love this camera, I'll pass. Sounds like it'll be impossible to get footage from it without spending a fortune.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 01:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Platt View Post
Dang. Ok, thanks. So sounds like as much as I'd love this camera, I'll pass. Sounds like it'll be impossible to get footage from it without spending a fortune.
These type of threads have come up before. I get the appeal of buying old pro gear at a fraction of the price but these things are less appealing once you dig deeper into the associated costs and work flow you’d need to adopt. These cameras would also need big heavy expensive tripods. Capturing tapes suck. Saving money isn’t a good reason to get these cameras
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2021, 08:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
These type of threads have come up before. I get the appeal of buying old pro gear at a fraction of the price but these things are less appealing once you dig deeper into the associated costs and work flow you’d need to adopt. These cameras would also need big heavy expensive tripods. Capturing tapes suck. Saving money isn’t a good reason to get these cameras
I plan to do basically 'stringing' - news type shooting, so most footage will be handheld. But yeah getting the footage from the camera sounds like it'll be a pain.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 12:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

News is often shot in HD these days. The nice thing about the traditional ENG stye cameras are the zoom lenses, often with a x 2 range extenders and you can hold them for long times on your shoulder.

However, today, I would try to get something like a used Sony PMW 200 for stringing. They have a decent zoom range for those stories where the roads are blocked off.

These days speed is everything on 24 hour news, so you can get your file(s) to the news provider extremely quickly with these later cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion