Is hiring a second unit director a bad idea? - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 26th, 2021, 09:49 AM   #121
Inner Circle

Re: Is hiring a second unit director a bad idea?

With people giving you advice this good Ryan, why am I not surprised?

If you were a chef Ryan, and you opened the fridge and the only food had gone bad, and smelled - would you actually use it?

Some things you say Ryan would be funny if you didn't really believe them? You knew you had bad actors, but you went ahead and used them? That is a something I have never known a director or producer to say. If you have a choice between a poor product or no product - I'd not want to be known as the crap guy?

Have you considered maybe your friend did not mean you to take it this way? Either that or she is frankly a screw loose and her elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

I agree with Pete - you are only as good as your last project!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2021, 09:59 AM   #122
Inner Circle

The only reason to do a film with a poor cast is a technical exercise, you make it and move on. Learn what you can and make another film without looking back.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2021, 12:11 PM   #123
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
With people giving you advice this good Ryan, why am I not surprised?

If you were a chef Ryan, and you opened the fridge and the only food had gone bad, and smelled - would you actually use it?

Some things you say Ryan would be funny if you didn't really believe them? You knew you had bad actors, but you went ahead and used them? That is a something I have never known a director or producer to say. If you have a choice between a poor product or no product - I'd not want to be known as the crap guy?

Have you considered maybe your friend did not mean you to take it this way? Either that or she is frankly a screw loose and her elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

I agree with Pete - you are only as good as your last project!
Funny I also had a food analogy in mind, but I was thinking if you are a bad cook will buying better quality ingredients make you a better cook? Most of Ryan topics are really about him trying work around his inability to direct, spending years planning every detail because he can't improvise on set, hiring a co-director because he isn't good at directing actors... I could go on but we are really beating a dead horse. None of what we are saying is going to have any impact.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2021, 06:52 PM   #124
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh yes, from now on I am only picking actors I feel will do well in the parts.

But as for the whole, actors and crew will only want to work with me if they have a prior personal relationship with me, that is one one thing I will have to work around and find an alternate solution for then. There are other filmmakers I worked for that have had strangers that they have had no past relationships work with them before on their projects, so I felt it was possible. For example, I was told before that if I want enough actors to choose from that are good, that I should be auditioning 50 people for each major role. If that's true, I don't have time to build personal relationships with over 50 people and what filmmaker does. Best just do casting calls with lots of actors and crew and pick people even if I never worked with them before, I figure.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2021, 10:56 PM   #125
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
Find something that matches that. Do it for our sake so we don't have to read these type of threads.
As long as some small group of people is willing to keep responding to the same questions over and over again, Ryan is going to keep asking the same questions over and over again. My theory (as I've mentioned before) is that Ryan would rather talk endlessly about making his dream movie, rather than take advice on what to do instead. At this point he seems to be more of a movie groupie, rather than an actual movie maker. And the consensus seems to be that he's not making any positive progress toward becoming the latter.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2021, 11:07 PM   #126
also known as Ryan Wray

You're right I shouldn't have asked the same question again. From now on if I would like advice on a particular part of filmmaking I will ask about that but stick to new areas and only ask questions in new areas and try not to repeat myself.
Old April 27th, 2021, 12:03 AM   #127
Major Player

How's the color grading on your phone going on your other job? Have you walked out yet? Because if this goes wrong it will reflect on being a director or anything else. People remember mistakes more than good work.
Old April 27th, 2021, 12:06 AM   #128
also known as Ryan Wray

It's going a little better now because I have gotten use to the grading now. I wanted to take the phone home so I could put the footage on my computer then put it back on the phone, but the phone has some sort of security on which I cannot do that, so I am stuck with it I guess.

I asked them how they like the grading so far, and they said it was good and they seem to like it so not sure if that is good or bad. But it's starting to look someone better now that I have gotten use to working it. Not as good as it could be on a computer though of course. Well it's a documentary project and those usually do not have big cinematic color anyway, so not sure if anyone will notice a more simpler grade since documentaries tend to have them anyway? I wanted to go beyond that though and make it the best I could, but the phone security is preventing me.
Old April 27th, 2021, 12:53 AM   #129
Inner Circle

I've shot broadcast programmes that had no or very little colour grading, it was all done in the camera, because it just wasn't an option in post production unless they were rescuing a scene because the white balance was wrong.

One of the rules is that the customer is always right, even when they're wrong. If they can't tell the difference they may be unaware that there higher levels, or it could be a case that it meets their needs, which are basic in nature for these productions.

Colour grading in documentaries varies from little to none to the production being graded to the highest levels for high end flagship documentaries. This web series sounds like it's at the lower end of the spectrum
Old April 27th, 2021, 03:01 AM   #130
Inner Circle

I think grading for video is very much like mastering is for audio recording, and the real purpose is now surrounded by hype and the idea seems to be that anyone can master, on equipment designed for recording. So somebody sits in their studio and produces a masterpiece. Traditionally they then gave this to a different person who improves it for the general public. Grading is the same mysterious subject.

The trouble is that very often the people who 'master' are the same people who recorded it. So you finish your project and it's perfect. You then do more things to it, on the same system, on the same speakers with the same set of ears and the reality is you simply slap on a few presets that the internet says are flavour of the month excellence tools. Exactly the same with grading. It's something you MUST do, but most of the decisions were done in the edit. You already balanced the shots by adjusting the ones on a dull day to match better the ones on a sunny day and then these get matched against inside shots. You do this in the edit, or at least, I do. Then we could give it to somebody else to do on their properly calibrated monitor with much better contrast ratio capability - or we do it on a cruder device - perhaps cruder that the ones used in the edit. M Mastering and Grading when done by professionals with experience can improve things. When done by amateurs, my belief is that the process can be destructive. Even worse are the people who clearly don't understand it dictating use on the wrong kit. I suppose there is the point that if the viewers will mainly be watching it on a phone then grading for them, using a phone could be appropriate. I think it's probably bollocks!
Old April 27th, 2021, 06:33 AM   #131
Inner Circle

Grading on a phone. lol I shouldn't laugh because I'm working on a budget dance film and they wanted and inexpensive gimbal so I'm using my iphone 12 with the dji osmo. They needed something small, light and easy to use, to run around in the middle of dance sets. It works well for that purpose. I'm using FilmicPro and paid a little extra for the ability to film in 10bit log. I've found despite using log there isn't a big difference mainly due to it's a phone with tiny sensor.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2021, 10:32 PM   #132
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh that's interesting, I haven't seen footage in 10 log on a tiny sensor before. Why does the tiny sensor make less of a difference in terms of log quality?
Old April 28th, 2021, 12:17 AM   #133
Inner Circle

Probably because the photosites on the phone sensor are so small the sensor has a limited dynamic range.
Old April 28th, 2021, 12:40 AM   #134
Inner Circle

I had a gimbal for my GoPro and want that impressed but when I read the dji spec on the ronin s I realised my JVC100 would just fit on it, I bought one and I’ve kept the camera on it now semi permanently and despite the weight it works really well. The battery means I don’t have a full range of movement but I can work around that. The GoPro and the JVC both on 1080 look so different. I bought one of those silly cheap Chinese gopros and it’s 4K image on the dinky sensor looks impressive until you realise the dynamic range is quite squashed. I guess this is the same issue?
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:32 PM   #135
Major Player

I think this is a case of DeJaVue
https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/techniq...-director.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion