I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old December 30th, 2020, 01:53 PM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: I'm having trouble storyboarding a movie because of covid restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
They were joking, Ryan.
It depends if you're paying people and the time involved in doing the animation. If you can do the animation yourself, it just costs your own time.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2020, 02:10 PM   #77
also known as Ryan Wray

Yes I would have to pay an animator to do it, and I assume that might cost more than having to pay a small production crew to help shoot a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Who is on your distribution list? Will they be able to cope with a screen, as in laptop, pad, phone etc, or does their role mean paper is better? Some folk will already have paper for other things, while others will be using a pad or similar already. For my normal crew of 6, two always want paper, the other 4 don't even have a pen!

One thing - test your preliminary versions on them to see if they can understand them. Never assume people have the skills you assume they have. People are extremely variable!
Well I could storyboard in frameforge or something like that, and be ready for paper or latpop depending on what they prefer later, if that's best. It's just that frameforge might be overkill to use, if they want paper, in which case, you do not get the camera movement that frameforge supplies. So maybe therefore a cheaper program might be better if more people prefer paper.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2020, 04:52 PM   #78
Inner Circle

You're the director, it's mostly for you, rather than other people. You can show the crew the scene on your laptop on the day of the shoot or on the recce, actors won't be be that interested, since they have other considerations than the shots.
Old December 30th, 2020, 05:50 PM   #79
Inner Circle

For my pantomimes, I would have from the production company, accurate plans of the sets and during the rehearsals when the actors got confused about where things would be I'd pull out the folder and show them a plan. 90% of them would instantly glaze over and obviously just not get it, so I'd pull out photographs of the set showing where everything was. So many times we'd get to the real stage and their set for the first time and I'd inwardly laugh when they'd misunderstood everything. All they want is for the director to say you start sitting here, you get upon and walk too here. This is what I meant about giving them what they want. Some on the distribution list may just not be interested or need them.

Ask your self what the storyboard is for - who wants them and what use are they. Stick men and a scribble can be photocopied and cost nothing. Putting hours into a storyboard using software could be a big waste off time (and money).
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2020, 07:03 PM   #80
Slash Rules!

I would assume itll be him, the dp, a sound guy, and the actors. MAYBE one other grip/electric?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2020, 10:45 PM   #81
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah that sounds about right, plus make up. But make up will not want to see them of course.
Old December 30th, 2020, 10:54 PM   #82
Slash Rules!

I meant that will be the TOTALITY of your crew. Probably out of those positions I mentioned it'd be DP and possibly the grip/electric who would need to see the storyboards. Just tell your actors where to stand/move.
Old December 30th, 2020, 11:49 PM   #83
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay. I also thought I should show the sound person as well, of course.
Old December 31st, 2020, 12:08 AM   #84
Slash Rules!

Nope. They will decide that after actually seeing the shot on camera.
Old December 31st, 2020, 12:49 AM   #85
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, it's just in my experience I prefer to see it beforehand because there may be problems that can be addressed beforehand, compared to when the camera is set up, and thus less times to solve those problems. But I can try to creating storyboards that are more boom friendly.
Old December 31st, 2020, 02:55 AM   #86
Inner Circle

That's just you, the boom operator doesn't need to see the storyboard in order to do their job. It would be like a battle plan, it works until the first shots are fired. Any problems can usually be seen when the director is blocking out with the actors.

Also, you can't tell the lighting from a storyboard, that can also affect where you can position the mic boom because of the shadows.
Old December 31st, 2020, 03:22 AM   #87
Inner Circle

This is just you doing your management thing Ryan. You assume that other people would want to work like you, and they don’t. You want to ‘help’ the composer, the DoP, the cast, the crew, everyone by inflicting your way of working on them. If you have somebody to do makeup, are you sending them photos from movies you like so they get the style of the makeup? Have you sent them a lipstick colour chart, or examples of eyeshadow colour. Are you buying them an airbrush kit because pad application can be seen in HD, let alone 4K? Can your storyboard do costume and makeup?

Storyboards help those that need them, and invariably the details they want are not the ultra quality renders software can produce. Yours will look great, and instantly fall over when circumstances change and you have to adapt, as in every production so far, when you have to change script, locations and people.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2020, 08:39 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Don’t give Ryan any more ideas on how to micro manage this movie to death. You’re right. I could see him trying to tell the makeup artist how to do her job supplying her with stills from movies he wants to emulate and color strips.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2020, 11:29 AM   #89
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well I would just talk to the make up artist about what the movie would look like and then hear the ideas they would have I thought.
Old January 20th, 2021, 06:21 PM   #90
also known as Ryan Wray

I am having some challenges getting use to FramgeForge. I think maybe I will just draw out the storyboards myself but does it come off as unprofessional if the drawings are bad?

When I see storyboards of professional movies that have been made, when storyboards are discussed, they always look good. I never see really unprofessionally drawn ones. So would those make a bad impression?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion