Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking? - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 10th, 2020, 03:57 PM   #346
Inner Circle

Re: Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking?

You would simply frame tighter to avoid the other camera from getting in the shot. It’s commonly used in interviews, tv and movies and it doesn’t seem to be a problem. I’m not here to walk through every scene in your movie and tell you when and if it’s appropriate. Likewise it’s immaterial what big budget movies do. Base your decisions on the factors of your own situation.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:04 PM   #347
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah it's just that I don't like framing tighter, because it may not make the shot look as good. However, maybe I should do it to shoot multicamera and save time. So I guess it depends on what is more important, the shots looking better, without it, or saving time.
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:22 PM   #348
Inner Circle

Shooting multi camera purely to save money isn’t a good idea. You have to be comfortable with it. Maybe you should use it to film a short to explore it rather than talking about it. Closer framing isn’t good or bad it’s just different.

Big budget films use a wider aspect ratio for a theater screen and that width needs to be filled with something. The Skyfall scene you posted the location has depth and complexity that adds interest, therefore a wider shot is used. So that’s why you shouldn’t base your framing decisions on feature films when your circumstances are the opposite. If your location lacks complexity, if you have barebones cast, you should be filming to hide those deficits.
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:28 PM   #349
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, well I was using those examples, as to where the camera position would be. Those two examples, Skyfall and Public Enemies, the movies were shot in 2.39:1 though, where as I plan on shooting in 1.85:1, I was thinking, but the camera positions would still have a same issue possibly, than if I want to go more in front of the face, it risks the camera being seen in the other shot I thought.
Old October 10th, 2020, 04:49 PM   #350
Inner Circle

When you've got time limitations you're often forced into making compromises in order to get the shots you require. You don't always get your wish list.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2020, 06:15 PM   #351
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah that's true. Well when it comes to getting funding from an investor but the other person is paired with a co-director, how do they decide which director does which tasks, usually?
Old October 10th, 2020, 06:45 PM   #352
Slash Rules!

You said the guy youd worked with who’d gotten funding, that his storytelling was good and there were other things lacking. So in that case perhaps the co-director is handling the actors.

In your case unfortunately, youve been criticized for storytelling, technical skills, and actors’ performances, so there really are no strengths for a co-director to complement, only weaknesses for them to compensate for, making it likely, as has been said, that you would be forced out of directing your own film.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2020, 07:01 PM   #353
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well I thought that if I had more of a crew, that the technical skills part could be covered better there. I feel I would do a better job of directing the crew, compared to the actors, so maybe the co-director could direct the actors, but that is just what I think.
Old October 10th, 2020, 07:04 PM   #354
Slash Rules!

I don't know that "directing the crew" is an actual thing.

A film director is known for three things...the overall vision of the movie, directing the camera(s), and honing the actors' performances.

Based on what we've seen here, none of those are areas where you're strong.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2020, 07:14 PM   #355
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, but I thought I could be stronger in the vision if I had a more experienced DP, with more equipment though, as well as more production design options. Wouldn't a better DP and production design benefit me more, or no? I feel that I would do better if I made the cinematography and production design decisions, and the editing and music and sound decisions, where as the other director could perhaps do the acting side of things, but that is just what I feel would work best.
Old October 10th, 2020, 07:39 PM   #356
Inner Circle

Here's a question for you Ryan. When you watch poorly directed movie do you think if only he had a more experience dp I would think he's a good director?
Old October 10th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #357
also known as Ryan Wray

I usually don't think too much about what went wrong in other movies if I find they are poor.

Well why do I have to be the DP as well? I thought that if I had a better DP the movie would look a lot better and since I was told the cinematography was a problem. Is is the problem perhaps me and I just need to direct the DP I have better and it's not the choice of DP that counts?
Old October 10th, 2020, 08:01 PM   #358
Inner Circle

We're trying to help you out by giving honest advice. But it seems like despite not being good at this it makes you happy so keep plugging away.
Old October 10th, 2020, 08:03 PM   #359
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh well at the end of the day I feel like you just have to take all info, advice, and research you can, and do your best and go for it. But isn't that what you all did on your first feature, is just do your best and hope for the best?

Last edited by Ryan Elder; October 10th, 2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old October 10th, 2020, 10:14 PM   #360
Slash Rules!

AGAIN, most people on here have not made a first feature or any feature cause folks here are primarily not filmmakers.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion