Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking? - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 30th, 2020, 02:56 PM   #226
Slash Rules!

Re: Do I tend to overthink things in filmmaking?

thats BS and shouldnt happen
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2020, 02:57 PM   #227
also known as Ryan Wray

That's true. But if it does happen, on the shoot day, what do you do?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2020, 02:58 PM   #228
Slash Rules!

get fuming mad, do what you have to, and never trust that person again
Old September 30th, 2020, 03:01 PM   #229
also known as Ryan Wray

Yeah I mean I got frustrated about it, but still shot the scene in only about an hour and a half and then packed it all up. So I guess it should all work out as long as no one changes their minds hopefully.
Old September 30th, 2020, 03:11 PM   #230
Inner Circle

"If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a... FLAMETHROWER to this place!"
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2020, 03:35 PM   #231
also known as Ryan Wray

I guess next time I will really be adimant that they cannot cancel on the shoot day and hope that helps.

But another thing that concerns is it was said before that the camera I used looks like 16mm, so I was wondering, should I use a different camera then?
Old September 30th, 2020, 04:18 PM   #232
Inner Circle

Why should the camera matter? I assume the location owner knew you were making what was an "amateur" film and not a professional production. If it was the latter he'd be paid location fees for the use of the premises.

Location owners tend to be hold their word, especially on the day of the shoot. It usually only breaks down if they've been misinformed about something
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2020, 04:21 PM   #233
Inner Circle

So Ryan how much did you pay for use of the location?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2020, 05:24 PM   #234
Slash Rules!

Yeah. This should be obvious but if you go through a professional location manager they can find you legit places to shoot that will not pull this crap. Of course that will cost you substantial money (no i dont know how much), first for the location manager and then for the location itself. But basically youre choices are a) ONLY shoot in places you KNOW you wont get jerked around on...your house, trusted friend’s house, etc. b) pay the appropriate folks as i just described or c) risk this happening again and again
Old September 30th, 2020, 08:36 PM   #235
also known as Ryan Wray

I didn't pay anything for the location because I thought I would make a zero budget short. But I was advised to make zero budget shorts on here before, but maybe that will cause things to go wrong more likely, if they are not being paid?
Old October 1st, 2020, 12:25 AM   #236
Inner Circle

You don't usually pay for locations on those types of films. It's also unusual for owners to ask you to leave after 2 hours on the day, when you've agreed 8 hours.

These time issues (plus no shows) seem to be a common feature on your films. Either it's part of the culture where you live or there's an aspect of your approach to things that is causing these issues to arise.
Old October 1st, 2020, 01:52 AM   #237
Inner Circle

Remember - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - usually this sort of thing is because location owners expect two or three people, and you turn up with lots, plenty of vehicles, lights, cables, demand power not asked for, and prevent them functioning. Remember that they are NOT movie people, so they may be expecting a small camera and a few people and get a huge disruption. If you explain that you need 8 hours, need parking for 6 vehicles, and will be running many cables, you can also ask if they have any special safety issues tha they need you to cover - like trip hazards, hot items etc etc etc. Getting a location involves a lot more correspondence than just calling on the phone. There may be no charge, but they need to know what will be happening on THEIR property. If you don't tell them, there can be huge issues through no fault of anyone's. I do lots of stuff now in churches, and it's always best to explain about flightcases, cables, lights and attaching things to their building. I have a non-damaging system now for flying microphones above the heads of the performers. They then usually let me string the catenary. Turning up on the day with a ladder just gets a blanket NO! There are two routes for locations.

NEVER ask in advance and apologising afterwards is better than risking refusal in advance - as in do what you know they won't like and if they notice say sorry, or.....

ALWAYS ask in advance and have good arguments and solutions for the questions you know will be generated. You never apologise for upsetting them, because you haven't!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2020, 06:40 AM   #238
also known as Ryan Wray

Oh okay, I showed up with three crew members and two actors, for that location. I think his reason for canceling had to do with some unexpected business related thing to him that snuck up on him. We didn't have a whole lot of equipment aside from a small light kit, camera, tripod, cables, audio equipment... I thought it was overall pretty small.

We parked on the street so parking didn't interfere with his building, I don't think.

When it comes to the actors though, in the past short films, a few of them I felt were not the best casted, but I went with them anyway, in the auditions because I really wanted to get a movie in can.

So perhaps from now on, if I don't have a good feeling about the auditions then do not go for it?
Old October 1st, 2020, 06:55 AM   #239
Inner Circle

If you're dealing with a business, unless it's an area that doesn't get used is the location, shooting over the weekend or on a day when they're closed is usually the best policy.

Given that your acting pool seems very limited, you may get stuck with the cast. Allowing extra time during the filming day allows the possibly of getting the best out of your cast. However, you do need to get involved with coaching and directing performance out of them. It's a proactive process.
Old October 1st, 2020, 07:05 AM   #240
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I have a non-damaging system now for flying microphones above the heads of the performers.
Paul, I'd like some information about this, if you care to share it.

Thanks!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion