I have a color grading question, about calibrating my monitor. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 5th, 2019, 04:59 PM   #31
Warden

Re: I have a color grading question, about calibrating my monitor.

The reliance on bars is just a very simple example of the issues of color management. SMPTE colors bars show the 3 primary colors (Red, Green, Blue) and 3 secondary colors (cyan, magenta and yellow). This is dependent on what your doing is additive color or subtractive color.

Eight bit color can display about 16.7 million colors, (2 to the 8th power x 3) and 10 bit color displays over 1 billion colors (2 to the 10th power x 3). Colors in most color spaces are not linear. A curve is applied and the colors are not given equal importance for various reasons. Thinking that if just 6 points are accurate, 1 billion points will be accurate is quite a stretch. This is getting more complicated than it needs to be.

The point is, if you want more accurate color, calibrate your screen.

How to test this.

Buy a calibrator and the Black Magic Box from B&H, I’m sure Chris has links from B&H so he gets a little credit for the purchases. Calibrate the monitor using a calibrator from x-rite or DataColor (X-Rites are better but more costly). Look at the before and after image provide by both X-rite and DataColor and look at the differences in the monitor between uncalibrated and calibrated. Pay particular attention to skin tones. they are very difficult to reproduce accurately.

Then go back to the default calibration and plug in the Black Magic box and compare before and after. If calibrated accurately, the calibrated colors will be more accurate, but not necessarily more pleasing. Color is subjective and monitors in an uncalibrated state may appear more pleasing with regard to a limited color set. But overall, the color of the image will suffer.

Then return the product you don’t want. B&H offers a 30 day return on most products (always check return policy before you buy).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #32
Slash Rules!

Thanks. This all comes back to....what is the most affordable, DECENT setup we could recommend to Mr. Ryan Elder? Monitor, box, anything else he might need.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 05:26 PM   #33
Warden

That’s like asking what is the best camera, best car, best truck etc. Opinions and colors are VERY subjective.

It will really depend on your budget and your understanding of color management. I would recommend the purchase of a mid-range color calibrator from X-Rite or DataColor. If you’re growing, have higher aspirations or a bigger budget get the X-Rite. The X-Rite calibrators are spectrophotometers, not colorimeters (like the Spyders from DataColor). Not a huge difference on the lower level, but when greater accuracy is required the X-Rite is the better choice. It also help future proof you a little buying the better calibrator. Follow the included software and ask for help from their support people. That is what they are there for.

If your budget goes up look at monitors that are in the $1000 to $3000 USD range. Many (most/all?) will come with built in calibrators thus avoiding the need for a separate calibrator. You will also find many that come calibrated at the factory and should stay in calibration most of their useful life or offer a recalibration service for a small amount.

Lastly, you have the Flanders and other higher end monitors that are in the $5000+ USD range (depending on size etc). Great monitors, but beyond the reach of most production studios and independent producers etc.

I hope this helps. Questions are always helpful.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 01:51 AM   #34
also known as Ryan Wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Donald View Post
The device is not really necessary. A modern computer screen can accurately display the same color set as a monitor. It’s important to have the computer screen profiled and calibrated properly. Digital is digital, it’s just 1’s and 0’s. But if they are not converted properly by the software and monitor is not calibrated, then you’ll be upside down.
Oh okay thanks. But since people online suggest to use external software to calibrate a monitor, if it's not necessary, how do you properly calibrate a monitor, within the monitors own color settings?
Ryan Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 03:16 AM   #35
Slash Rules!

My research tells me you really can't unless it's one of the specialized monitors (Eizo, BenQ) that allegedly display the full gamut/proper video colorspaces. Maybe not even then. I use a lot of "maybes" and "allegedlies" 'cause this stuff, again, gets real complex and even the pro colorists get into fights about all this stuff.

Just find the grading forums (LiftGammaGain, etc.) and search for threads along these lines.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion