iMovie: a better mouse? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Tourist

iMovie: a better mouse?

My wife edits hdv on our Mac using iMovie. We also have Final Cut Express but she doesn't want to take the time to learn it. Anyway, she wants a better "mouse" / pointer control thingy ;-) that will allow her to scrub quickly through her video clips to set edit points etc.

I have seen these things on the interweb in the past, they look like a mouse but have a dial like wheel that you can spin. I can't for the life of me remember what they are called! Otherwise I would simply google it, ya?! Hah!

Anyone able to help?
Chris Krowchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Some helpful web search terms.

Trackball
Trackpad
Scroll wheel mouse
computer mouse alternative
Old July 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Perhaps this is what you're looking for: Contour Design | Shuttle | retail.contourdesign.com
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Don't forget that the Apple Magic Mouse supports one finger "swiping" that allows scrubbing thru footage.

I have no idea how well that works compared to a jog dial/shuttle however.

I also remember this product from Griffin:

Griffin Technology: PowerMate - USB Multimedia Controller

[Non professional devices of course.]
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks all!

Jog/shuttle! That jogs my memory! Google brought the contour and griffin products up, they look like the ticket.

One thing that wasn't explained on either website though, what is jog and what is shuttle? Both devices have an inner dial and outer ring for these two functions, but no explanation as to how they differ. I'm assuming one is for fine frame by frame and the other for fast scrubbing?
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

yes - inner dial on the Contour is weighted and free spins, and designed for frame by frame movement (although you can spin it somewhat faster!) - basically think fine tuning. The outer rubber "wheel" is spring loaded, and has IIRC 4 levels of "speed/sensitivity" so you "nudge" it in the direction and amount you want to scrub through the footage, release and it stops/springs back.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Tourist

Hey Dave,
thanks for the informative reply! I take it that the outer ring "springs" back to it's neutral position, leaving the selected frame displayed? IOWs, the video doesn't spring back? Can't see any use for the video "springing" back but what do I know? Hah!
Old July 28th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Yep, the ring springs, not the video. Keep in mind you also get 13-15 buttons you can program any way you want, so you get a lot of control.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion