Single Chip cams with larger lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 13th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #1
New Boot

Single Chip cams with larger lenses

Is it true that the single chip DV cameras like the Optura models from Canon Or even Digital 8 cameras with larger lenses than that of the HC40 or Canon's ZR's don't get too washed out beyond help? Of course, any camera footage can be aided with brightness & contrast or color curves, but do (to make it particular and a perhaps proper noun) Optura models get less "washed out" upon capture?

Or should I just get these questions out of my head and pursue 3CCD? (but I can't afford it, I even have difficulty affording any Optura cams), although there is a 3CCD model from Sony (The DCR HC1000) that's lesser in price than the Optura xI.
Paolo Macachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:46 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: 1CCD with larger lenses

Or to summarize my rather incoherent post above - do single CCD cameras with the practically "bigger" lenses (as opposed to the cute ones) get lesser of being washed out upon capture? Or does ANY 1CCD get washed out the same way, regardless of the size of the lens?

Thanks.
Paolo Macachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Stay tuned. 3 CCD SD Prosumer cams in fine used condition are going to get cheaper by the end of this year.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

There is a lot of difference among cams.Both 1CCD and 3CCD. Typically the larger the CCD and the more of them is best.Some of the Opturas use a RGB color filter which does enhance the picture.Your image being "washed out" could be the result of many things ,lighting being the primary cause and not the camera.A couple questions to ask. Have you tried hands on with a variety? What are you using the cam for? If professional jobs then I suggest using professional gear.Either way try them out in stores ,at video club meetings,etc.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Wrangler

I think his question is:
WHat is better, a large single CCD, or three tiny CCDs?
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #6
Major Player

IMO (in order)

1. Single large CCD w/ RGB filter.
2. 3 smaller CCDs (3 larger CCDs would be #1, but that's not part of the topic).
3. Single large CCD w/ CMY filter.

I'd take the larger RGB CCD over 3 smaller just for the benefits of the larger area (depth, light, etc). If there was no RGB filter, it's all about 3CCDs.
Patrick Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #7
Major Player

How would you guys compare my TRV20 with a single 1/4" CCD to a PD10 or GS400 with three smaller 1/4.7" CCDs?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion