million dollar DOF - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #16
Wrangler

I see where you are going with this, Dan...a Mini35-esque rig with a built-in slant focus function. Of course the whole oscillating mechanism would have to be able to adjust as a unit, which would be a bit bulky, no? And it's pretty esoteric stuff. I mean, if you want to get whole frame in focus, just yank the camera off the Mini...! And as far as selective focus, like a swing-and-tilt, it seems to me that most DV folk are more interested in achieving this sort of thing in post (that bokeh stuff I keep hearing about). Traditional swing-and-tilt bellows are a big pain in the arse to work with anyway, I'm glad I don't see them much any more.
Old March 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #17
Major Player

>>>>Of course the whole oscillating mechanism would have to be able to adjust as a unit<<<<
Exactly.
>>>which would be a bit bulky, no?<<<<
Not the way I see it.... you have seen (I guess) the small footprint I have made the FULL 24/36MM GG move. (I have antecedents I mean)
>>>if you want to get whole frame in focus, just yank the camera off the Mini...!<<<<
No. You just rotate the GG until you hear a "click" . Then is squared to the lens and the full frame is in the O mighty' Lens focus ring command. Click or no click, that would be performed "in shot" and does not have to end when squared, it could go on the other side another 2-5 deg? (if the shot calls for it) or start a vertical rotation when the horizontal reaches the square position and also could be combined with the focus on the lens for a slice of focus traveling the frame with a dolly while all subject is at the same distance to lens and camera is squared to subject.
>>>>>Traditional swing-and-tilt bellows are a big pain in the arse to work with anyway, I'm glad I don't see them much any more.<<<<
I could not agree more with you on that. By all means, but the effect is still nice. This would be a way to have it without "all that set up and the pain associated with" and more.....
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #18
Skyonic New York

Xiaoli,

thats it thanks...the screen shot looks bad, but when engrossed in the scene it worked like a charm, you really needed that to make it work...thanks again
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion