Demo reel music question - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 16th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #46
Regular Crew

random thoughts

Yea, I was a modelmaker first then a shop supervisor. Computers have affected the industry. You never see "true" matte painters anymore. "What??? Paint in reverse on glass????" The last truly great film I worked on was James and the Giant Peach. I built armatures for the stop-motion charactors. Great film. Models, real stop-motion, real motion control, real film...... ahhhh the good old days.

About the ethics debate.....

IMHO......

Ethics are personal, morals are societal. Unfortunatly society's morals have taken a nosedive in the past 20 years. We're more tolerant of those who err on the side of moral relapse. Everyone is a victim. Nothing is anyone's fault. Kid's in schools are taught "there is no right or wrong, as long as you feel good about your decision".

Schools aren't allowed to disipline. Parents are afraid to disipline. They try to be friends with the kids as opposed to role models and disiplinarians.

I have a 6 y/o boy who, as I was looking out the side window of the truck while driving, grabs my face, pulls it so I am looking forward and states,"Dad,you're supposed to focus on the road when I'm in the car".

Talk about ethics...................
David Mesloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #47
Major Player

I saw that movie. James and the Giant Peach was my favorite book as a child - memories of my mom.

I also agree that ethics and morals have declined. But the pendulum can swing the other way as well. Reasonable balance is all I'm advocating. Morals or ethics applied with out critical thinking behind them are almost as useless as not having any ethics at all. What can I say, I was taught by Jesuits...
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #48
Warden

Quote:
I also agree that ethics and morals have declined. But the pendulum can swing the other way as well. Reasonable balance is all I'm advocating. Morals or ethics applied with out critical thinking behind them are almost as useless as not having any ethics at all.
I agree. When I first moved to Montana it was legal to drink (driver have an open container in the front seat) and drive. It was illegal to be drunk (over the legal limit) and drive. The Montana law was ethically wrong by my standards. I guess some people only have an issue only if a death is involved, I view things differently.

Quote:
Using copyrighted music to enhance a demo reel is in no way a test of a person's character or their ethics.
I am afraid it is. Just as a driver drinking while he drives may have been legal, it was ethically wrong.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #49
Major Player

Fair enough Jeff, I respect your principals and your strength of character. Why don't we just agree to disagree about this issue for now and be pals. Hell, if you're ever up in the NYC area, I'll buy you a drink and promise not to drive either drunk OR with an open container. (That's an easy promise to keep!)

Best,

Matt
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:07 AM   #50
Slash Rules!

Or to show him your reel.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 01:09 AM   #51
Major Player

LMAO. I don't have a reel... I'm actually working on my first short now. It's not really a short. I just bought a light kit and have been trying to learn how to use it - thought I'd try to light like film noir. Well next think you know I'm filming stuff and figure I might as well make a scene so I can practice cutting it. A few days later and now I'm scoring it....

It's stupid, but it is fun.

Matt
Old October 17th, 2004, 07:38 AM   #52
Slash Rules!

Ok, well, when you DO have a reel, either a) don't use music you don't have permission for or b) stay away from Jeff and Dylan, as they will beat you severely with the arm they've just ripped off of you.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM   #53
Major Player

Come on now, we can all play nice. If everyone thought the same way the world would be a terribly boring place.

When I say I'm scoring it I mean just that. I've brought the DV into Cubase SX and now I'm writing the music. Just finished the intro at about 4:00AM This morning I cleaned up the DV audio and now I have to write a little walking music...

Nothing fancy you understand I'm just having some fun. When I'm done, I'll post it.
Old October 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #54
Major Player

We can play nice...maybe?

Well Jeff...that's your opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with anyone on this board when it comes to character, ethics, (work or otherwise) and morals, anytime.

I'm just not that uptight or anal when it comes to judging people. And once again, you are using an analogy where people's safety and well being are at stake, how can you even bring up drinking and driving with using music for your reel in the same breath? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Anyway, this is just like discussing religion and politics, there are no clear cut winners. The bottom line is that we all have to live with ourselves and what we are. The only judge that matters is the BIG GUY when the time comes.

RB

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion