How to Get a Hospital as a Location for Shooting? (or shoot somewhere lookin alike) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 8th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Totally off topic, but Scrubs is one of my favorite shows. Great camera Dept. They always have interseting angles and motion shots due to JD's many imaginative day-dreaming sequences. Superb production values, and quality writing...anyway you should seriously check out a University Medical Center. They don't use as many rooms on weeknights, as during the day (and at the big party schools, vice-versa).
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #17
Air China Pilot

Charles, you're my hero again for working on Session 9. Great work. It turned out to be a decent movie too.
Old July 8th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #18
Wrangler

I thought Session 9 was GREAT. Brad Anderson is a talented director.
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #19
Regular Crew

hey Corey, Yes there was some security on site part of the fee covers that someone is always around. Most of the security tends to be patroling the grounds of the hospitlal as it is a very large area. There is usualy one gaurd that will make regular stops at the building just to make sure everything is ok. They don't usualy come in though. I think there used to film crews and know not to just barge in on a set. So if your in need of someone you usualy have to go out of your way to track them down. The area is very secure and you tend to keep to the one building which is away from the rest of the institute. It is a mental hospital so bear that in mind. However they have moved the crimanly insane to a new location a few years ago. However if your out for a smoke break you may be approached by some colorful characters, but generaly the only other people you'll see may be another film crew.

The biggest and really only problem we encountered was power. It is a very old building and there was no electrician on staff at the time we were shooting. To avoid possible blown breakers (and a creepy walk to the basement to flip the breaker back on. Trust me you don't want to go down there.) we tried to distribute our power through out the floor as best as possible. So yes bring lots of cable. The elevators seem less than reliable and the very "medical" looking rooms are up a few floors. We didn't have any problems but I've heard of crews having to lug everything up the stairs. Because the better floors are up a bit; getting exterior light through a window can prove to be tricky with out a genie, and available outside light isn't great. Other than that the building has pretty much been converted (as best as possible) to a shooting location so you should be ok.

Hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions.

I'm still looking for the contact info. Unfortunatly my things are in more of a piling system than a filing one so this may take a bit. One of these days I've got to get around to cleaning things up.
Adrian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks again Adrian for the info, I appreciate it. How does one go about distributing power?

(possibly plugging different things into seperate outlets throughout the floor?)

Also, I've noticed that one of the reasons that the hospital was originally closed down was becasue of asbestos. Do you know of specific areas to watch out for this? (are there warning signs on the wall?)

Thanks,

Corey C.

Old July 12th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Ya distributing power simply means moving the load around to different breakers. (plugging things into different rooms) Yes originally it was closed due to asbestos. We were told that the areas you are allowed acsess to have been cleared of it. However i would recomend being careful if you have to poke around in the celings, we just avoided drilling into the roof. You should be fine.
Adrian Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion