director's viewfinder for 1/3" chip cams? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

director's viewfinder for 1/3" chip cams?

Does a diretor's viewfinder exist specifically for a 1/3" chip camera? If so, are they affordable?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 08:25 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Josh,
I don't know, but I really doubt it. Even if it did exist why would you bother with it? It would seem to me to be just a poser's acccessory. You can just as easily use a real 1/3" camera to plan your shots. Most don't weigh much more than a scope! <g>

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

Plus, considering the limited demand against the cost of manufacturing, they would probably cost more than most miniDV cameras.... You know what the video equipment industry works. :)
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

Ah yes. . .MOST cameras don't weigh much. MINE does. For planning my shots, it just seemed like it'd be easier to take a little piece of glass with me, and be able to tell what focal length I'd need to be at, make a few notes, and be on my way.
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Trustee

Josh,
Knowing what focal length you need will only be useful if your camera has a lens which is calibrated with figures which will match your viewfinder - maybe it is.
If not, then you will learn with experience how you are going to frame the shot. In the meantime, why not draw out a storyboard, since you're already making notes...

Robin.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Indeed. Even if you can't draw well digital photography makes it easy to shoot your locations, edit and annotate the photos as needed and then print out the pre-production notes.

I have used this technique, particularly to plan blocking and camera positions (using stand-ins) and it's worked really well.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Josh, if you really want one, try Kish Optics.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Alright, thanks guys.
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

I guess my curiousity about the need for a director's finder in terms of noting focal lengths during a scout is this: if you are using a zoom lens on your DV camera, you'll just end up framing the scene with the zoom on the day anyway. I could see needing to determine if a wide-angle adaptor will be required (can I get this two shot with the camera backed up against the wall at my widest focal length?) or long-lens shots (to get a medium shot at the longest possible focal length available to me on the lens, where will the camera have to go?) but for the middle of the range, it's usually pretty easy to line it up when shooting. When using primes, it's a lot more helpful to use a finder, since you have to physically move the camera to get tighter or looser and you don't want to have to keep doing it.

I myself use a Minolta A1 digital still camera on scouts these days, with the lens barrel marked off in cine focal lengths. As Ken indicated, the photos are a great tool for storyboarding and communication with others; I love the capability to shoot MPEG movies so we can rough in camera moves. The A1 has been replaced by the 8 megapixel A2, thus it has dropped quite a bit in price and is a great tool (takes pretty good pix as well!) It's one of the few easily portable cameras that has a true mechanical zoom barrel which allows you to add your own focal length equivalents.
Old June 5th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #10
Wrangler

Charles, I use my A2 for the same thing. If you look at the short film I posted in the DV For The Masses section, I shot the whole thing (more or less) on the A2 first.

Sometimes I take photographs with it too.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion