Quick Question Re: Sped up footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick Question Re: Sped up footage

I'm going to be shooting a short clip for a film trailer to show an idea that my friends and I have come up with for next year's annual feature that our highschool makes.

I'm looking to have a couple of shots of a speeding car (which we can't actually have it speeding) and I know the footage needs to be sped up. I know to get low, tight angles and come dutch angles as well, but I was wondering about shutter speed.

Should a lower shutter be used for the sped up footage to increase the motion blur in the background and give a greater sense of speed?

Basically, should I shoot this at 1/60th or 1/30th. I'm using a Canon GL2.

Greg
Greg Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Greg,

You are on the right track with the lower angles and being close to the subject.

Do you want the vehicle more in focus and the back ground blurred or have the camera stationary with the vehicle blurring by?

Back ground blur is relative to your depth of field and the distance from your subject, closer the back ground the more blurred it will be with a moving camera.

With the slower shutter speed that is going to give you a small aperature with more depth of field making the back ground morre in focus

You might turn on you nd filter, place another on the lens and perhaps add a polizer if you have one. this will require the aperture to be opened up more, reducing your depth of field.

Anyway, just a couple thought.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dale.

I should have been more clear, I meant background motion blur. I figure that so long as the background is blurred, the DOF becomes less important.

I was following the subject with a pan, so the subject remained sharp and the background had motion blur.

Unfortunately, I had problems with my actors and we had no choice but to scrap this small production.

Our highschool makes a 50 minute feature every year and after recording and editing two of them, I find that the technical quality of the production (while still below most things I see on this site) has improved to the point that we can't get rid of the amateurish "play in front of a video camera" feel without a stronger story and a more cinematic style of writing. So over the past 3 weeks, 2 friends as well as myself have come up with a concept and story and we were going to make a short teaser to hand into our teacher along with an outline of the plot. We plan on writing the script this summer.

We did shoot that car scene though, and even though it won't be used, I can see my footage getting better and better with practice. I was honestly surprised at the smoothness and contrast that I was able to get from the GL2. It's better than footage I've gotten from an XL2 just a couple of months ago.

Needless to say, I'm not exactly pleased with the actors who had been commited 100% for that day to film.

Thanks again Dale,
Greg
Greg Donovan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion