Panasonic MX 50 Video Mixer Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic MX 50 Video Mixer Question

I'd like to capture a frame, keep it in memory and be able to switch to it anytime I don't have live video to feed at an event I'm doing. I thought this mixer would handle that but can't seem to figure out how. Recognizing this is a bit of an antique, wondered if anyone with experience could help? TIA
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I don't recall that capability with the MX-50, but you might capture the frame on a PC, then send the PC's S-VHS output to the MX-50 and switch to it as needed...or something like that...just a thought...

Mark
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
From MY memory, I don't believe the MX-50 had still store. The MX-70 MAY have...
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm surprised to actually see a mixer I've used being discussed. I've only used this mixer once, so I'm certainly no pro, and I never read any documentation on it. When I used it, the still store was done through an external system and we keyed it up using two of the regular inputs. I'm not able to say there isn't the capability to do a freeze frame capture, however I figure they wouldn't have spent the extra money on the added equipment if the board was capable.
Matt Ratelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

To grab and hold a frame on the mx50, under the digital effects part of the mixer is Still button.

Here's a link to the mx 50 manual, look at page 21 .
http://www.pslx.co.uk/Datafiles/Pana...0%20Manual.pdf

From what I remember, grabbing stills on MX30 and 50 mixers looked a little fuzzy, not a high rez grab from what I recall. And once you have a still in that mixer bus, either a or b, you were stuck with that still in the bus until you dropped it.

Last edited by Paul Pelalas; January 22nd, 2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Paul Pelalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I stand (somewhat) corrected. Thanks Paul.

TECHNICALLY, based on what Paul is saying, the MX-50 has a FREEZE function, which ties up an input, as opposed to a Still Store which would be independent of a live input.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Paul, you're right. That works. I've also got to agree that the quality leaves a bit to be desired. Think I'll just generate the graphics in PowerPoint and feed via S-Video as suggested. THANKS
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wilson View Post
Paul, you're right. That works. I've also got to agree that the quality leaves a bit to be desired. Think I'll just generate the graphics in PowerPoint and feed via S-Video as suggested. THANKS
That's exactly what we did on a shoot one time. The band supplied me a JPG logo and i pulled it up full screen on my laptop and used the s-video out of the laptop into the MX-50. Looked good on the projectors each side of the stage.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion