ATHLON 64 4000+ Processors and NLE??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 6th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

ATHLON 64 4000+ Processors and NLE???

I did a search on this subject and didn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know if these AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ Processors in laptop computers would be any better than others for NLE. The only reason I am asking is that this product boasts about its incredible digital performance when dealing with movies, music, photos and games etc. It seems like they are making it sound like this particular processor is geared specifically towards handling digital graphics etc......so I was wondering if this would be "any more ideal" for NLE than any other decent processor out there. Can anyone elaborate? Thankyou.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Witt
I did a search on this subject and didn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know if these AMD ATHLON 64 4000+ Processors in laptop computers would be any better than others for NLE. The only reason I am asking is that this product boasts about its incredible digital performance when dealing with movies, music, photos and games etc. It seems like they are making it sound like this particular processor is geared specifically towards handling digital graphics etc......so I was wondering if this would be "any more ideal" for NLE than any other decent processor out there. Can anyone elaborate? Thankyou.
Hrm.. For sure check with the NLE's software you are looking at.. Some will work some won't.. I've done the AMD 64+ and Pentium Dual Core and for me the Intel was a better match for Premiere Pro.. But for Battlefield2 bring on the AMD!
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Something with dual cores would be better suited for video work. But for laptops? Geez, that's tough. If there's an Intel solution with dual cores already, go for the fastest speed you can get! The AMD's are nice for desktop performance and are decent in video (what's like a 10-30 second render distance to anybody? One extra minute at most? Geez, read a book or work on your next script or something!), but that's if you're talking about the AMD sigle cores ON THE DESKTOP. The AMD mobile solutions are pretty bad in comparison, I don't know what it is but it seems that way. The AMD64 X2's are the best you can get for all around good performance on the desktop, if they have a laptop solution with AMD dual cores, I'd go for that instead, but I don't think there are any yet. For now, if you need to get a laptop immediately, go with the fastest Intel Dual Core mobile solution you can find, skimp on the RAM and/or hard drive if you need to cut the price down, you can always upgrade those later ;).
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Does any manufacturer make dual core laptops? Dual cores make a lot more heat and use more energy, so it may be difficult to integrate them into laptops.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Does any manufacturer make dual core laptops? Dual cores make a lot more heat and use more energy, so it may be difficult to integrate them into laptops.

no, there is at lest one dual core X2 laptop that is available now, and had been for some time. a link to it was posted over at CGToilet recently.

As for producing a lot more heat, that isn;t accurate for all dual cores. it would be for Intel since their so called dual core is really just 2 precott processors glued together, and individual precotts are exceedingly hot.

I have a couple of desktop X2's that run at 38c with the stock HSF shipped by AMD, which is definitely pretty "cool" by comparison.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The AMD X2 and Premiere Pro do get along, although there are some slight hiccups in capturing (easily worked around, however).

At the moment, X2 is definitely a far better solution than the space heater that Intel calls a Prescott.
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #7

Vegas6 is multi-threaded. meaning it will use both processors on an AMD dual core CPU. Render times are SIGNIFICANTLY reduced.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #8
Trustee

dualcore Turion64 is coming out next year. it's been on AMD's product charts, but no announcements have been made. i'm thinking Dec '06 or spring '07. so if you can wait. i know i am. i'm waiting for a dualcore 64-bit tabletPC =). best of all the worlds all around.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC