How to capture from BetaCam Player? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old August 12th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to capture from BetaCam Player?

hi,
I've been using Premiere Pro + Matrox RTX100 for a while now, and have worked exclusively with DV format. But now I've been getting into Beta format, so I'm investing in a BetaCam Player (instead of going to a Dubbing place everytime). Assuming I get the:

Sony J-30 Compact Betacam Series Player

my questions are:

1) It has a Firewire output, so I can capture it easily. After editing, how can transfer it back to the BetaCam player? it doesn't specify FireWire input (I thought Firewaire was in/out!).

2) If I had to deal with Component in/out (which Matrox RTX100 doesnt support), what is a good capturing device for that?

I appreciate your answers.
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Nawaf,

If it only specifies firewire output then it will only do firewire output. There were various widgets that enabled the input, but these were mainly for camcorder use, and in most cases would invalidate the manufacturers warranty.

In order to get the footage out you would need to use the component in.

You can buy a DV to component 'black box' that will convert the signal both ways. I think Data Video produce a few and so do Canopus. This then means that you can use your firewire port on your RTX 100 card as you normally would. Also bare in mind that you will not be able to control the Digi VTR this way.

If it has an RS-422/232 control port (which I expect it has) then you would need to buy the correct cable. These are normally quite expensive for what they are. They are made by companies such as Rosetta Stone or Pipe Line. Make sure though that the one you buy is compatible with both Matrox and Premiere. They connect to 1 of your standard RS-232 com-port (serial) on your motherboard.

Hope this helps,

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC