Hero 3 audio - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old February 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Hero 3 audio

I hope that's the case. I'm going to be re-ordering once I get this bad one sent back. In fact, I'm going to order another one from a different place and I'll compare the two. This whole experience has been so annoying, I have little confidence ANY GoPro unit will be much better.

Just give me CLEAN audio. Is that asking too much?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:21 PM   #32
Major Player

So within two days I have a replacement Hero 3 from the amazing B&H people (for whom I think it's business as usual)...here's a new clip. Can you tell me if this is "as good as it gets?" Should I not expect any "cleaner" audio than this when things around me are quiet?

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #33
Major Player

The GoPro staff listened to the latest video posted (above) and concluded the buzz wasn't as bad as in the first video. However, here's what they said in an email to me:

"Our product engineers are aware of this slight audio buzz in some of the audio recordings. They are working hard on a firmware update that will be released soon and hopefully will resolve the buzzing issues."
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #34
Trustee

One idea is to NOT use sound when you have scenes that are supposed to be dead quiet. No point in fixing something you're not going to really use.
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #35
Major Player

There's an art to making backpacking videos (of a different sort).
One...record your foot steps on a separate track.
Two...record the natural sound (ambiance) on a separate recorder.

The problem I'm encountering is that I'd like to use the Hero for spontaneous interactions with folks I might have along the trail as well. Such conversations will be faint under the best of conditions. And it's not the sort of thing where you break the flow and say, "Oh, can we record that again because I've now got my second sound recorder turned on?"
That's why having clean audio on the Hero is important to me. The thought of having to later process all that footage to remove a "hum" or "buzz" bums me out (not to mention realizing I've had to filter out certain frequencies overall).
So here we are, what, four months after the Hero 3's release, and I'm still waiting for firmware updates to remedy a bad situation. Nothing I can do about it though.
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #36
Trustee

Sounds like you are more needing professional or prosumer grade and not a $300 action camera. While I understand your dilemma, I've had the same issues with other cameras around the same price and even more expensive ones. Tape transport noise used to be an issue prior to solid state cameras. Bleeding edge cuts sometimes...
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #37
Major Player

Well, it was a conscious decision on my part to have an "action camera" look for this video. I realize that imposes tremendous limitations, not the least being NO zoom. I had looked at Sony's GW-77 (I think I have that right) and I had shot previous backpacking docs using my trusty Sony HC-3. But I really wanted a "wearable" camera.
For better or for worse...
Old February 25th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #38
Trustee

I'm in a similar spot but I have to press on because I already got rid of my old camera. Now i'm making do with what I have to work with. When I bought mine it was still pre-order and all the features weren't listed. I needed to be able to control shutter speed. I needed to be able to control aperture. Nope can't do it. Gotta find creative ways or workarounds.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM   #39
Tourist

GoPro does indeed have some issues with a buzz in the camera audio. It has been discussed in several of the specific gopro forums, too. Their service guys ahve given mixed messages as to the problem and to any fix. Never trust them to actually know the answers, but they did try to resolve such in the firmware at one point. Many users have experience this and they first claims were that it happened mostly in vehicles where the electrical components probably interfered with the camera. To date, this is an issue that has not been resolved by GoPro staff. If you play your video onto your tv, it can be even worse. The current audio issues with the new H3 cameras is a real problem situation for GoPro to contend with. Hopefully they won't sluff off in actually diagnosing the problem and fixing it, but so far, their support staff really do provide many, many mixed messages in what they provide. To a point, they are simply tossing up their hands and saying to overdub with music, which is not a cure at all. Me, I prefer using my GoPro mic adaptor and an extenal mic for the best audio. However, even with that, in some camera tests in my car, the slight buzz could be heard. With the video run through the tv, it got worse.

If your film in situations where you may run into things unexpectedly that do require sound, filming silent is not really such a great option. A better option may be using the Zoom H1 Handy recorder instead. Good luck in what you find to work for you.
James Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #40
Major Player

Lynne, This is why i recommended you the SteadyCam Smoothee and the Gopro, its tiny, lightweight and works well with a bit of practice.

I think this was 1080p either medium or wide.

One of the best ways to get Pro moving camera shots and beat the jello wobble, nice editing taking just the right amount clip portions to sustain the shots.

Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #41
Major Player

I agree...Steadycam shots can be nice. I used the Steadycam JR when it first came out about 20 years ago. Found out fast, however, it doesn't take much to lose the delicate balance and get the camera drifting. I was shooting on a "cluttered" trail, lots of brush and weeds and branches around to interfere with the shooting process.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems