Television Tape, they called it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 10th, 2024, 10:11 PM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Television Tape, they called it

Well, I guess they have to call it something. It's just neat to hear the name they had chosen for it when they first brought it to market.

This is some sort of sales / demo video for the product.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2024, 01:52 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Television Tape, they called it

Some more correct info:

"The show’s title relates to those two competing manufacturers – Ampex, which first brought video recording technology to market, had registered the term “video tape”, and RCA was left without a way to describe its own tape products; thus, “television tape” became the RCA moniker for pictures etched on iron oxide."

Read all about it at https://web.archive.org/web/20150523....tv/Story.html

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2024, 10:20 AM   #3
Vortex Media

They should have called it "TV Film".
Old July 12th, 2024, 09:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Whatever they called it, the term "tape" seems like it will never die. Hard to watch a news program where somebody doesn't say they've "got it on tape". ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2024, 01:30 PM   #5
Vortex Media

On a similar note, I've given up on my refusal to use the word "filming" when shooting video. I held out as long as I could, but I've had to capitulate and start using it in some circumstances. They've broken me.
Old July 12th, 2024, 06:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That’s correct Andrew. In 1962 at NBN Channel 3 in Newcastle just north of Sydney, we had the first RCA Television Tape recorder outside all the metropolitan TV stations in Australia. It was part of a complete RCA television station package bought by owners of NBN. Everything, from the mics to the transmitter.

And as the U.S. was now mainly in colour, RCA had to find older TV techs to come out and install our black and white gear. From Sydney I was the first audio guy there and trained the locals some of whom 62yrs later I still talk with.

Here’s our RCA recorder, to get a program to air, it had a 10-1 countdown leader, during which you faded the station program to black, press the switch to lock the RCA to the station sync, then fade up the RCA program. We always held our breath but it never failed.

Exciting times in Newcastle I was 19, the parties with the Ncle hospital nurses were great, I nearly got engaged. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Television Tape, they called it-img_6751.jpg  
Old July 13th, 2024, 08:10 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Whatever they called it, the term "tape" seems like it will never die. Hard to watch a news program where somebody doesn't say they've "got it on tape". ;-)
We jokingly used to call it rusty "Magnetic Sellotape".

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Television Tape, they called it-sellotape.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

When i was teaching in college (16-18) i made a throw away comment about video tape being sellotape covered in rust, and one student said could we see if that really works. We spent an hour with iron oxide powder and a reel of sellotape. We carefully put it into an old vhs cassette. Press record and did ten seconds. Rewound and had a recognisable picture for about 5 seconds, until the heads wore away, but it worked!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line