Television Tape, they called it - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 18th, 2024, 10:42 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Television Tape, they called it

Well it involved cutting a hole in a stage floor, hinging it and dropping the coffin into the hole - with a student inside. The idea came from one of the students, as in "could we ......?" I thought about it, decided this idea was better than mine and scrapped the entire perfectly planned lesson plan (which of course was perfect for the inspection) So we did the work totally on spec - with jig saws, bolts, hinges, ropes and 'safety' features to ensure the closed floor could be walked on - and just before the end of the session, we lowered the coffin, with occupant - safely. The inspector cleared off, with his report, and only then did I reveal the fatal flaw in the process that I had spotted, but the others, including the inspector had not.

The coffin was lowered into the hole with straps, which were pulled out. We had a 4 foot deep hole into a totally sealed off area, with a student in a coffin, and no practical way to get her out. The lid could not hinge open enough to squeeze through because of the obstructions. In the end, we managed to dangle 4 ropes with hooks to 'lassoo' the handles on the side. It took fifteen minutes to rescue her - and I got a bollocking from the principal for taking the chance - despite getting top marks. I won't mention the night I and 4 students got locked on the roof of a 220 ft grain silo and had to spend the night there. I really should not have been trusted to be a teacher!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2024, 08:49 PM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Television Tape, they called it

Speaking of things you can do when teaching.

I had some ratbag kids who would keep on making noise during the lesson, or something like that. It was quite a while ago now. So in the period immediately prior to lunch I rewarded them (might have been four or five kids) with a five minute detention.

All they had to do was to collectively remain totally silent for five minutes.

You guessed it. Every time one of them would make a noise to test the system, the timer would reset to zero. Let's just say that as the end of lunch time was approaching they were ready to kill each other. They got there, and only just in the nick of time. Not sure if the students even got to eat.

Andrew

PS. The best thing was that if there were any complaints from the parents, we'd simply say "hey, it was only a 5 minute detention". :-)
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line