Sony DVC HD (DVM63HDR) Failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 13th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony DVC HD (DVM63HDR) Failure

I am sick!

Does anyone have past experience with the SONY HDV HD mini dv tapes not recording or capturing any video?

I was the sole videographer for a wedding this past weekend and I switched to a brand new clean tape, During the wedding it looked like all was normal and recording time code just as any other tape would in the hundreds ive used in the past.

I used a Canon XHA1, The mini dv tapes say they are for hdv /dv, I was shooting in HD.

Perhaps the camera can't play back video off of these tapes? but that seems ridiculous?

It was a two pack of tapes, i just opened the 2nd tape and recording 1 minute and then tried to play back, and I got nothing.

oI used another brand tape and it worked fine.

any suggestions?

I need all the help I can get here!!!!!!!
Jay Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I have used a variety of tapes, including Sony, but I have never had anything like this happen.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #3
New Boot

I found a review on B&h video's website for these tapes and someone mentioned they had this same exact problem. I am sick..
Jay Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Generally Sony tape is pretty reliable, but you can run into tracking issues. I had one (Sony!) camera that would only track properly with Panasonic tapes, but other than that, most of the time Sony tapes have worked for me... any problems have been camera related.

This is one reason to do a "test take" of a minute or so at the beginning of each tape, and make sure it's recording and playing back.

Any chance if you FF/REW while in play mode that you can see anything recorded? Have you tried record/playback with another camera by any chance? It's possible you got a defective pack of tapes since you apparently can R/P on another tape you have...

Certainly sorry to hear about the situation, understandably a tough one, hopefully this wasn't a "paid" gig - this is one reason to always have backup gear, even if it's a handycam, at least if you test and have a problem, you can shoot SOMETHING...coming back with nothing because of a primary piece of gear not functioning has got to be painful... I think we've all been there, that's why I shoot multicam, and went tapeless - I'm pretty sure I'll hae something one way or another.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Looks like you're not alone, Jay:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...-hdv-tape.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line