Canon XL1s ate my tape, then decided it didn't like it and regurgitated it! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:54 AM   #16
Major Player

Ok,,since I'm new to this let me ask ,,,I bought some Sony tapes The tape is black,,,the tapes just say Sony Premium. So is this just a cheaper grade of tape? And since I have only used a small amunt of tape since I got my XL-1s it won't hurt to switch to a better grade of tape. Whne looking for tapes I want one that the tape is creamed colored? Thanks
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 11:02 AM   #17
Slash Rules!

I'm a Houston native, as (I believe) my info says. Anyone out there know a good place to go in Houston for tapes? I think there'e a protape here, but please don't recommend Industrial Audio/Video, as they charge about 10 bucks per tape.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 11:24 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Yes, ytou need to go to Pro-tape, they will treat you right and besides they help sponsor this site. So when you buy from them, you're helping to support the message boards you're using. Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 12:16 PM   #19
Major Player

Chris I don't see the link to Pro tape,,,,what is it? So is the cream color tape the best?
Old May 13th, 2002, 12:48 PM   #20
Slash Rules!

Didn't someone say they were $2 more per tape? I'm
po'.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 12:54 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Go to my site at www.dvinfo.net and click on "Sponsors." You'll find them there. Those tapes are worth the extra measly $2 especially when you consider the alternative of having your shots ruined. If you're on a budget, consider which is more expensive: $2 or having to do your shoot all over again. I'd rather spend $2. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 01:49 PM   #22
Major Player

I was looking at some of the tapes at pro tape. The panasonic ay DVM tapes come in like a PQ or MQ,,,is there much of a differnce besides the $6.00? You guys talked about not changing tapes,,,if I just want to do some normal shooting and what to use a DVM63 PQ, then say I'm going to do a wedding and want to use the DVM63 MQ that won't hurt anything will it?
Old June 11th, 2002, 08:14 PM   #23
Regular Crew

XL-1 eating tapes..

The same thing started happening to me recently. At first it seemed like it was only FUJI mini-dv tapes that my Canon-Xl-1 would reject. One day it actually ate the tape and wouldn't let me eject it - that was scary cause it was on a shoot. I had just purchased about 20 FUJI tapes on sale, and assumed that it was just this brand that wasn't compatible or something. In fact a friend of mine with the same camera had experienced problems with FUJI tapes in the past as well, where it would flash eject for no reason.

Anyway, I went through different brands of tapes, included some that I had successfully recorded on (Panasonic, Sony..) and now they all give me problems.

Most of the work I do doesn't require the use of a DV tape - I record directly to 1/2" decks - so i'm ok for now. The problem is that since I live in Vancouver, it would take 6-8 weeks to send my camera to Canon out east.. ARGH!

Jeff
Jeff Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 08:35 PM   #24
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 : Ok,,since I'm new to this let me ask ,,,I bought some Sony tapes The tape is black,,,the tapes just say Sony Premium. So is this just a cheaper grade of tape? And since I have only used a small amunt of tape since I got my XL-1s it won't hurt to switch to a better grade of tape. Whne looking for tapes I want one that the tape is creamed colored? Thanks -->>>

According to the owner of a documentary production company I know, Sony Premium is an excellent tape, great for all around use, with negligable differences between more expensive tapes. It's what he uses in his XL1 (which I bought off him) and XL1s.
Hope this answers your question some.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2002, 08:46 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Sony Tapes

I'm not sure about the Sony tapes, but I know FUJI are supposed to be higher grade than Panasonic (and cost more). I really don't see how this would be an issue anyway. I mean Mni-DV is a standard, and it's not like Canon makes their own tapes that they recommend..

I think my point was that if FUJI really are high grade then it should have been the brand that killed my camera. I think it's just a problem with the loading mechanism being slightly out of alignment. Each tape could have a certain threshold where one tape would cause slightly more problems in a miss-aligned camera than another but I don't think that the tape could be considered a cause.

Jeff
Old June 12th, 2002, 12:44 AM   #26
Outer Circle

Actually, here in Vancouver, I find Fuji miniDV tapes cheaper than Panasonic. Try London Drugs and Superstore. They usually have deals on Fuji tape once a month. Buy them in a 2 or 3 pack.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2002, 01:41 PM   #27
Regular Crew

MiniDV Tapes in Vancouver

By far the cheapest place for tapes in Vancouver is the Tape House in Burnaby. In fact they have a sale on right now for Fuji MiniDV at about $7 a piece (as opposed to $12 at London Drugs). Minimum 5 pack though..

Jeff
Old June 14th, 2002, 09:52 PM   #28
Warden

Hi,

I don't know about today, but back in the 80's and 90's Panasonic was not a tape manufacture. In fact, Fuji was the company that made all of Panasonics pro grade tapes. Panasonic used to freely admit it and were actually very proud that Fuji tape was in their wrapper. I don't know if that's the case today. Chris, maybe you could ask someone at one of the shows you attend and let us know.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 12:54 PM   #29
Regular Crew

eating tapes

Well, :-) I guess I am "welcome to the club". My XL-1s started eating tapes, too. The problem occurs WHEN REWINDING only. I get the sign “remove the cassette” and when I pull out the tape, sometimes it is “regurgitated”, sometimes not. I also noticed that the time indicator is flickering when rewinding. This proved to be a good sign that the tape will be rejected if not even destroyed.

I used to use JVC tapes DVM63ME purchased as a “special deal” for approximately $7.00 a piece. With first 11 tapes I did not have any problems. Very smooth rewinding. Then I purchased two more. The same brand, the same quality. (Followed your advice guys about the same brand, same oil, etc. It made sense to me.) Well, the tape #13 was the “lucky” one. Some beautiful materials from my birthday party (also July 13) were “regurgitated”. However, on a Mac platform I succeeded to recover a lot of stuff though the camera did not want to play the tape anymore, but a Mini DV player in the lab did.

Then I read even more about the tape eating problem on this site. I cleaned the head of the camera with the Sony cleaning tape following your instructions and decided to “convert” to the best. As I read here, I purchased a few Panasonic DVM63MQ tapes to test them. The recording was great, but I was able to see it only once. When rewinding the tape, again the same problem. The tape was first rejected. I clean the head one more time following the instructions on the Sony cleaning tape. Then the tape was regurgitated. I cleaned the head one more time. And again the tape regurgitated. I felt … you know how.

What should I do now? Send the camera to Canon?

Thanks for your advices,
Old July 19th, 2002, 10:09 PM   #30
Regular Crew

DITTO

Denis,

I am having the *EXACT* problem as you describe, EVEN AFTER SENDING THE CAMERA TO CANON SERVICE. My only difference is that I am using Fuji tape. I am currently awaiting a shipment of the Panasonic DVM63MQ tapes and a rewinder. I shot a commercial with this camera last week and I've had a difficult time getting the footage into the computer.

Have you, or anyone else who has experienced this problem, had an issue with dropped frames? I have to babysit my capture process because my NLE (FCP3) keeps aborting the capture because of dropped frames or broken TC, even though there are no TC breaks on the tape.

This is not cool.

Bill
Bill Markel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line