2 problems with my new HM100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #16
Major Player

I think this sounds like a dead pixel. All video cameras have them. Most video cameras are not full res chips so the dead pixel is masked with all the upsampling (Sony, Canon & Panasonic for example) The JVC PRoHD lines so far have been full res, (720p) so a dead pixel wouldn't automatcially be masked. Does anyone know the menu settings to get into a masker like on the HD100/200 series? Does this happen at 1080p/i as well as 720p? When you zoom in and out, is the dead pixel the same location on your screen? It shows up on your HDTV? if yes to all of the above I'm betting a candy bar that it's a dead pixel on the CCD. No big deal if there is a way to electronically mask it via menu.

If all else fails, go and record your event, then in post you can create a black or grey dot in a video track above your main footage and use that to hide the dead pixel, assuming that's what it is.

I get dead pixels every few months on my HD110. Higher elevations, the more you get. Closer to the north or south poles, the more you get. So every 6 or 10 months I notice one or two new ones and I have the camera find the pixels and mask it out of it's memory. These dead pixels are caused by x-rays or cosmic rays (no I'm not making this up) from space. They are what gives us various types of cancer and a foot of lead shielding only slow them down. People who fly alot have less protections because they have 10,000 feet less air to shield them, or their cameras. So if you fly a lot, be prepared to mask your camera every couple of flights.

I just read elsewhere that this MAY work. My gut feeling is that you will still have to go into the sub menu... (hidden on the HD100/200 series, uncovered by holding the focus assist & Menu button, but I understand that combo doesn't work on the new cameras.. but try the following just in case that might work..) . 1. Change your recording mode... 720p to 1080 or vise versa and reboot.. 2. then reboot process sometimes catches this....

here is the link....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hm...-hm-700-a.html
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Has anyone found a pixel-masking option for the HM100? Undoubtably it is there somewhere on the 700 as it is on the GY series.

Hopefully it has not been omitted from the HM100. It would be reassuring to hear yes or no - preferably from JVC as I am probably about to I get one myself.
Les Howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #18
Major Player

update

Hi,

I changed the recording mode and did a reboot but that didn't help.
I called JVC and the technician said that dead pixel could not be corrected on the HM100 via the menu or else he would have walked me through it over the phone. So I decided to return the camera to B&H one more time and try another one. I ran one quick test this week but so far no dead pixel on this camera.
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #19
Major Player

The problem you are experiencing is a BURNOUT PIXEL... THere is nothing to do except to find a way of "telling" the camera is there so for the camera to interpolate with near pixels. I had it with my HM700. There is a menu procedure I cannot post here that forces the camera not to consider the burnout pixel. Final esolution of my HM700 is now 1280x720-1 !
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Damn it, I got it too..

Hey Kajito..
I was reading your post sometime back about the 'dead pixel' and it had truly bummed me out then knowing how terrible you must be feeling with your new purchase. Guess what, I found the same problem on my HM100.. (as if I hadn't felt bad enough about yours already)

Has your problem been solved? I mean has it recurred in your third camera? Have you stumbled upon a solution for it yet? I am looking at a long and arduous road ahead into fixing my problem since I purchased my cam from Singapore. Do you think I should keep the camera or return it cos I can't afford to keep flying to another country every time to fix it?
And yes JVC I am truly upset.

Does anyone know how to help me out?
Thanks..
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:06 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Amir,

My third camera is working fine no dead pixels. If you recently
purchase the camera I would first get in touch with the reseller to see what they can do. If you've had the camera for a while I would get in touch with JVC technical support their number is on the green warranty card that came with the camera. Luckly I live near B&H but if I was in your shoes and had to return or buy a new camera in another country I would get a camera that has been out in the market for a while like the EX1, A1 etc. I hope your problem gets resolved quickly.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir Jaffar View Post
Hey Kajito..
I was reading your post sometime back about the 'dead pixel' and it had truly bummed me out then knowing how terrible you must be feeling with your new purchase. Guess what, I found the same problem on my HM100.. (as if I hadn't felt bad enough about yours already)

Has your problem been solved? I mean has it recurred in your third camera? Have you stumbled upon a solution for it yet? I am looking at a long and arduous road ahead into fixing my problem since I purchased my cam from Singapore. Do you think I should keep the camera or return it cos I can't afford to keep flying to another country every time to fix it?
And yes JVC I am truly upset.

Does anyone know how to help me out?
Thanks..
Aamir,

If you can return this camera then return, I will help you to purchase it here from India officially with warranty!

Can you please tell me why you purchased this camera, for business or just for passion? Can you please upload some clips captured by you on Vimeo or YouTube in HD format?

Do let me know if you want to buy this camera in India with warranty with good price.

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Re: 2 problems with my new HM100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
The problem you are experiencing is a BURNOUT PIXEL... THere is nothing to do except to find a way of "telling" the camera is there so for the camera to interpolate with near pixels. I had it with my HM700. There is a menu procedure I cannot post here that forces the camera not to consider the burnout pixel. Final esolution of my HM700 is now 1280x720-1 !
One of my cameras now has a dead / burned out pixel. Anyone know how to address this?

Surely after two years more people have encountered this.

Thank you.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #24
Major Player

if you're camera isn't under warranty i guess the cheapest and fastest way would be to fix it in post especially if it's just one dead pixel and is noticeable it could be done quickly and easily. I use Adobe Premiere CS5 it comes with a clone stamp tool which can hide just about anything. Don't know which NLE you're using but there should be something similar to deal with dead pixels.
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #25

Anyone ever find a SOLUTION?? This is once again poor from the manufacturers who take us for granted!
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems