HM100 Accessory Recommendations and Gear for Doc Project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Krause View Post
I would strongly advise against a spiderbrace. The design is very weak and I would never put my $3500+ camera on it especially if I canīt send it in for repair any time soon. The spiderbrace is a bunch of bent PVC pipes thrown together and is very home brew. It took the baggage handlers at JFK exactly one trip to brake it. Besides it practically forces you to shoot from the height of your shoulder downward... I would consider a steady stick (Davis & Sanford | Steady Stick Compact | SS3C | B&H Photo Video) for long hand held work instead.

P.S. Good luck with your project!
I've had one for 5 years and the only damage has been to the paint job. It's had a number of cameras on it, the most recently a Panasonic HVX200, weighed down with batteries, which is one of the most un-ergonomic cameras I've worked with. I was able to get great handheld shots while running around and it never showed any indication that it was going to break. Did your Spiderbrace break with the camera on it? It was broken during travel. JFK was where I once watched my luggage go up the conveyor ramp to the stow of the plane and fall to the tarmac right at the top. Lucky it wasn't my camera or equipment, just clothes.

The Spiderbrace is not limited to shoulder work. It's study enough and importantly very light. I shot close-ups for cooking videos by balancing the shoulder rod on my head and shooting down. That looked strange to the rest of the crew but I got the shots. In another situation I braced the shoulder rod against my side for a lower angle shot. You can smoothly transition from a shoulder mount shot to an overhead. Yes it's cheap PVC material but that is part of the reason that it doesn't add much to the weight of the camera which makes manipulating the position of the camera much easier. Are there more elegant means of camera support? Definitely yes, but not at that price.

The Steady Stick looks very interesting and I can see it's usefulness. Once (back when there were no palm sized camcorders) I had a similar camera brace by the Peter Lisand Company but I found the long-term weight on my midsection a distraction and it was tough to put the camera down safely. I donated it to a film class. I also use monopods but I find them limited.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Regular Crew

HM100 Arrived just 24 hrs Before Departure - WHEW!!

Thanks to all of you who took the time to offer advice/opinions on accessories and set-up. My dealer here in Canada, Peter Bauce at Hamilton Video and Sound, went above and beyond to get me my camera just in time - the first HM100 into Canada - as JVC’s main shipment was stuck in customs for 5 days for some inexplicable reason.

And I must say, it simply looks stunning!! In addition to the spectacular images and versatility of set-up (full manual to full auto), I absolutely LOVE the small form factor. Having lugged a couple of HD100’s around for 3 years, loaded down with batteries, Firestore units, wireless mic kits, etc. this is an ergonomic dream! As always, a few things could be tweaked and improved. But I’m looking forward using the HM100 to capture the beauty of Africa with breathtaking, vivid clarity as I tell the story of community tranformation work being done among aids orphans in Malawi. I’m sure I’ll check in and post some comments and a question or two on the forum once I get on the ground and put the camera through its paces.

May Peace and Justice come to all the Children of the World.

Cheers!

P.S. Thanks Jack and Matthias for your good wishes.

Last edited by Michael Lafleur; May 13th, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #18
Trustee

May you have a fantastic trip!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems