red eye wide angle adapter for hd100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

red eye wide angle adapter for hd100

I am considering buying one of the Red-Eye adapters for my hd100 so I can shoot wider, and was wondering if anyone has actually used one on their camera? I would like to hear some testimonials on this before I put out 500 bucks..does it have much barrel distortion or lack of sharpness at the edges? I dont really need zoom thru capabilities when using it..thanks in advance, John
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Abbey
I am considering buying one of the adapters for my hd100 so I can shoot wider, and was wondering if anyone has actually used one on their camera? I would like to hear some testimonials on this before I put out 500 bucks..does it have much barrel distortion or lack of sharpness at the edges? I dont really need zoom thru capabilities when using it..thanks in advance, John

Hi John,
I have one of the WA Converters on mine and never take it off. I dont see any distortion but am really not qualified to judge. More experienced people here can surely help but the converter has been marvellous to me. It also cost a lot more than $900 here in Australia.
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Dennis

I thought these adaptors weren't zoom-through and could only be used at the wide end of the lens, or have I missed something?
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
Hi Dennis

I thought these adaptors weren't zoom-through and could only be used at the wide end of the lens, or have I missed something?
Hi Graham,
Like I say, I never take mine off. The dealer said that I never need to. He said I would only notice the difference when zoomed in all the way. To me, the converter is the best ever.
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Trustee

If possible, make sure that you get the latest FX HDV version Red Eye rather than the older SD version.
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Risdon
Hi Dennis

That's true if used on a 2/3 broadcast camera. If used with smaller DV and HDV chips, the adapter allows at least partial zoom depending on each camera's capabilities.

See the website referenced above. It answers lots of questions and there are tv news guys that swear by them.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

dont see one in 82mm??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
If possible, make sure that you get the latest FX HDV version Red Eye rather than the older SD version.
Hi Tony, from going to their website it seems at this point they only make the fx series in 72 and 62mm sizes? bummer.
John Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Is there a FAQ on the different wide angle solutions?

What does zoom through mean anyway. That you can literally zoom in or out all the way? Who zooms anyway?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
Is there a FAQ on the different wide angle solutions?

What does zoom through mean anyway. That you can literally zoom in or out all the way? Who zooms anyway?
Uh, I sure hope you're joking. I zoom all the time. That's what you do when you're further away.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #10
Major Player

A wide angle converter is zoom-through. A wide angle adapter is not. These are both available for just about every video lens ever made. Adapters generally have better uniformity characteristics, but limit your focal length to one position. No such thing as a free lunch. And in this business, no such thing as a cheap one, either. :)
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
That's true if used on a 2/3 broadcast camera. If used with smaller DV and HDV chips, the adapter allows at least partial zoom depending on each camera's capabilities.
Thanks Greg - I use a 2/3 camera so if I want a zoom through W/A adaptor its about GBP 2k from Canon!
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:07 AM   #12
Trustee

The Red Eye adapter seems to be a special item, using the macro to focus and needing backfocus adjustments, etc.

JVC makes a more traditional .8x converter (yes, zoom through) that gives a 20%wider field.

Century makes a .8x converter (zoom through), and a .7x/.5x adapter set (not zoom through) that have been very popular over the years. More information and links on these is in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...eangle+adapter
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #13
Major Player

I have one of these. I think it's a piece of garbage.

If you don't mind edge distortion or severe CA then go for it. Otherwise, give it a miss.

Even a client of mine noticed the CA!
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
Uh, I sure hope you're joking. I zoom all the time. That's what you do when you're further away.
Once in a great while I'll zoom OUT. Never IN. I don't like zooming.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall
I have one of these. I think it's a piece of garbage.

If you don't mind edge distortion or severe CA then go for it. Otherwise, give it a miss.

Even a client of mine noticed the CA!
Maybe you used the old (and now discontinued) Aspheric .5X SD version Red Eye?(that does have plenty of CA).

If all 'garbage' produced such stunning DV footage as my .7X FX HDV version Red Eye does, then I'd probably spend more time rooting in the dustbin...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems