GY-HD200U Focus Issue - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeen de Vos View Post
Hi Tim and other ProHD users,

. I'm thinking about buying the 13x3.5BRMU Fujinon, hoping it improves the sharpness and gives me extra light. Does anyone know if this makes a big differance?
Hi,
If I can chip in here and tell you that the 13x lens gives an amazing difference in low light. We shoot display homes at night and the stock lens would be unusable. We do not use the iris full open however, just off or the colours tend to go a bit pink. I had an EX1 on loan the other night and the JVC111 with 13x is not much difference. That should give you an idea of how much better it is than the stock lens. If you have tested an EX1 you will know what I mean. Low light is amazing even though they look like a toy.
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:49 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Question about lens...I have a 17 x 5 lens and have suffered with softness and a lack of performance in indoor settings. The IRIS as noted is usually screaming open or close. Would this lens with this camera cause this? And, would I get better performance with the 13x that some of you have noted?
My JVC rep is coming out again tomorrow for a look-see as my issue with dark images in well-lit indoor setting is continuing. As for focus..it seems better with the detail setting at normal.
I'm trying to cover all angles here and wonder about the lens with regard to some of hte more recent comments.
Tim Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 04:05 PM   #33
Major Player

Hi Tim,

There is no doubt the lens is sharper if not wide open. It should never be closed off either. Use the ND filters if it is too light. I always back it off just a fraction then the picture is sharper. My detail is always set at normal. The 13x is amazing but I always got sharp pictures with the stock lens. I think your camera is buggered. I have no doubt. Something electronic inside is not right. Even if one has never used a camera before the auto iris works fine on these cameras. I use manual but cant see why you have a problem. Get the rep to give you another camera to try out.
Old December 21st, 2008, 06:07 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Dennis,

I'm inclined to wonder about the camera as well. However, I want to cross off as much as a I during this process. I've had the camera about a month.
I've never been happy with the output from day one with regard to soft focus and darkness in the video. When i was shooting last week, I really started paying attention to the IRIS. Again, it was OPEN to 1.4 in a room with decent lighting as well as (2) Lowell lights (1 RIFA, 1 TOTA) on the interview area. The gain was at 0 db, the ND filter was definitely off, and I left it in AUTO iris just to make sure. Sure enough...I had to adjust everything in post due to the lack of distinction in the darks in the video and overall dimness of the output.
With my older SONY DSR-250 under the exact same conditions and in AUTO IRIS, I had no issues and could take it straight to dub out without adjustment.
I'm still hoping it's the camera or something I'm completely missing but I watched a 1 hour, 50 minute training video provided to me on the camera. It was a "this button is this, that button is that" type setup done by a JVC Engineer earlier this year. I watched it just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and I didn't see anyhting jump out to me as if to say, "Hey, this is it".
Bottomline for me...I don't see how a camera, even on basic factory settings, can't give me a decent picture under decent lighting situations.
Old December 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
...I had to adjust everything in post due to the lack of distinction in the darks in the video
That's what black stretch is designed for - extra response in the shadow areas.
Quote:
I watched a 1 hour, 50 minute training video provided to me on the camera. It was a "this button is this, that button is that" type setup done by a JVC Engineer earlier this year. I watched it just to make sure I wasn't missing anything and I didn't see anyhting jump out to me as if to say, "Hey, this is it".
I'm curious what video this is? I've never heard of it.
Do you have a copy of my DVD? It has almost 4 hours of material with cause and effect demonstration of each image control.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Tim this video was a demo given by a JVC person for the Air National Guard. They did it via satellite and burned a copy. My JVC rep gave it to me after delivering the camera as a "this might help you from time to time". It's nothing special but does cover teh basics with teh camera and highlights some of the options that aren't explcitly covered in the manual.
I don't have your video but have looked around to see where I could get it. I'll check your link and see where it leads me. Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 06:32 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Its worth getting......
John Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:15 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Just to clarify, I believe John is talking about Tim Dashwood's video which many ( including myself) have found very useful.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:47 AM   #39
Regular Crew

yeah sorry, thats exactly what I meant..... it is much more pleasant than reading the manuals ;) hahaha, gives more info too !
John Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM   #40
Major Player

If so, that would mean they would provide illegal copies from Tim's great video.
I doubt JVC would do that...
Old January 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Marc, It wasn't Tim D's DVD that he got from JVC. It was something done by a JVC Rep.
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:58 AM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
this video was a demo given by a JVC person for the Air National Guard. They did it via satellite and burned a copy.
Ah yes, the old "let's just video Bob's live presentation and burn a DVD out of it" maneuver. Well, you get what you pay for on those deals.

Quote:
I don't have your video but have looked around to see where I could get it.
Look no further than the banner ads on this site... but here's the ordering page:

DV Info Net -- The Complete Guide to JVC ProHD Training DVD by Tim Dashwood

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM   #43
Regular Crew

it's not Tim's video just a demo a JVC person had given. It covers the basics with the menus and setup for the camera. Good for an out of the box viewing as it covers more than enough to get you started. Very low tech but quality stuff instead of sorting through the manual.
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM   #44
Major Player

Tims video is the single best instructional video I have ever seen or could even imagine for a camera. I've watched it twice in two days and am really starting to understand this beast. It is worth five times the price and more. My boss even watched it and liked it ALOT and he is picky about stuff.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Just to update the status of things...I visited with someone in my area who has (3) 250's in use. The output of my 200 matched his 250 with regard to the lighting situation. It appears to me that,due to the chip setup of this camera and my previous use of the Sony DSR-250, the lighting pickup is much different. My biggest concern is using it in an ENG situation where I don't have the ability to throw a ton of light on the setting for taping. I've shot several pieces since this started and have added more and more light to finally get something that I don't feel I have to tweak in post due to dimness of image. I'm working with the mid-range gain and throwing as much light as I can and kicking down the IRIS using the Zebra. This brings about something that still calls for adjusting as I'm battling those extreme hot spots. My lighting skills aren't the greatest but certainly I'm getting better pickup out of my eye than from the output of what I record both to tape and teh hard drive. There is a severe learning curve here as to what will and won't work.
In relation to the focus, that seemed to creep in when the iris was jam open and I got a general softness in the video.
I've been told to avoid using the focus assist in the DV mode as it really doesn't seem accurate. I'm not ready setup wise to move to HD at this time and hopefully over time I will and things will pickup.
Thanks again for all the updates and responses from everyone.
Tim Kelley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems