Tripod Plate Worth Getting - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 10th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #16
Major Player

A helpful vendor goes a long way, especially in places like Geneva where there is no film industry and there isnt'even a set of cine primes in stock locally.

in Berlin things are much easier, you can try out combinations, test stuff etc.

As a director, I use quite a few odd things like special lenses, oddly constructed dollies etc, and that's much easier in Berlin, that's why I live there part time. And you have lots of professionals and studios who can advise.

But even by Berlin standards this site remains a priceless resource - a big thanks to all !
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Worth It? Many Times Over!!!!

Hey guys:

I just got my KA551U tripod plate adapter today for my Bogen 519 head and all I can say is: you HAVE to get this thing! I had spent almost $900 on that head a year ago and was never really happy with it because the moves were never very smooth and then I heard about this plate and bout it and NOW I HAVE A WHOLE NEW TRIPOD!

Now this 519 responds like a dream and moves are as smooth as lubricated glass.

Yes it was $250 bucks but, oh, oh is it ever worth it for improving your moves. I have the AB battery mount with the AB wireless receiver mount, so my rig is SUPER back-heavy (even with the JVC wide-angle adapter on the front to counter-balance). With the tripod plate screw so far in the front, the center of balance was always way off, but this plate fixes it.

So if you are on the fence about paying almost $300 bucks for a simple little tripod adapter, I wholeheartedly recommend it!
Brian Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont View Post
I use a Leo BeBob plate.
This way I can connect external monitors, my zoom remote on the tripod without ever to need to disconnect anything when taking the camera from the tripod. Works very well for Live events when you need to run and shoot sholder mounted and on tripod without loosing time.
And with the counter part on the camera, when you place the camera on the floor, it gives a good angle shooting without the need to place something underneath your camera.

Marc -- do you have any links to more info on the Leo plates? I found some rudimentary info on their website but don't even see where to buy it in the US or how much the different versions list for. I'd also like to know what video connections are available (component hopefully?)
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Brent,

They exist in different flavors with less or more available connections.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can modify the connections yourself.
Strangely the info on the Bebob website is gone? Maybe they are updating their website, hopefully not stopping the sales of the great unit.
This webiste has still some available:
http://www.marcotec-shop.de/en/produ.../detail_85.htm
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Brian: I couldn't agree more! I'm using a Manfrotto (Bogen in the US) 501 head on 525MVB legs and was less than impressed with thetripod using it with my Sony PD150. Upon mounting the JVC plate and my HD200U (with AB Dionics), the rig is suddenly more than adequate again! Yes, I will invest in a more serious solution when cash on hand permits but MAN what a difference some weight and a plate makes!
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #21
Regular Crew

This is how I added stability to back of the camera on the tripod plate. Notice the black thing at the rear of the tripod plate under the battery mount. It's just bed foam cut to size and rolled up. I wrapped tape around it and covered it in black material. I feel much better with this because the weight isn't focused on the v-wedge mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Tripod Plate Worth Getting-sd530447.jpg   Tripod Plate Worth Getting-sd530448.jpg  

Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Corey: do you not have the rear position "pin receiver" (silver coloured, two screws, slides around the back pin on a Sony styled (ie. The JVC) tripod quick release plate?

EDIT: Never mind. Just noticed you're using a 100 series. With the 200 series, we have a place on the back "jack pack" for the "proper" pin receiver. My bad!
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #23
Major Player

Well I broke down and got the JVC tripod plate. It helps, and is a better way to go. Still need to get a better tripod though. Libec 38/55 or Miller 20 is in my future. I can't see spending money on a manfrotto again, though I hear good things about the 516/519 heads and matching sticks.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Alex, I own the Miller 20 and it is smooth as glass with the JVC and the tripod plate. You will not be disappointed.
Taylor Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I wouldn't consider tripod work without a tripod quick release plate. It's exactly the same as the broadcast industry standard, every camera used to come with one, which means you can find them second-hand. The GY HD cameras are too long and heavy to use safely perched on a front plate only, something will give before too long. It must put a huge strain on the front screw area of the camera chassis too.
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems