Tapeless w/ HD200 = no tally lights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tapeless w/ HD200 = no tally lights?

I just recorded tapeless to the HD200 with a DR-HD100 and noticed that neither the front nor rear tally lights appear to function in this mode.

Can someone verify this (and if so, guess why)?
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Wrangler

Did you have a tape recording as well or were you using "SPLIT" firewire mode with the left-side REC button? When using SYNCHRO mode with a tape you should still see the tally whether you have a DR-HD100 recording or not.

Check your menu to make sure you haven't turned off one or both of the tally lights.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Tim,

Both lights are definitely set to "on," but I'm not sure about the split/synchro thing.

Are you saying that there's a setting that will allow tapeless recording (DR-HD100 only, no tape in the transport), but still enable the tally lights?

And on that note, any updates on your desperately-awaited DVD tutorial...which probably would have answered this question for me ;-)

Brent
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
Hi Tim,

Both lights are definitely set to "on," but I'm not sure about the split/synchro thing.

Are you saying that there's a setting that will allow tapeless recording (DR-HD100 only, no tape in the transport), but still enable the tally lights?
You can definitely record to the DR-HD100 without a tape in the camera, but you must go into the second page of OTHERS and set 1394 REC TRIGGER to SPLIT.
SPLIT mode assigns the record button on the left side of the camera to the device connected to the firewire port, and assigns the top record button to just the tape deck. Therefore you don't need a tape in the mechanism and you can use the left side REC button to trigger the DR-HD100 on or off.

Normally you would use SYNCHRO mode to record to both tape and firewire device simultaneously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz View Post
And on that note, any updates on your desperately-awaited DVD tutorial...which probably would have answered this question for me ;-)

Brent
We'll get a preview site up very soon and will officially have the NTSC version available for sale on April 14th (NAB.)
Look for an announcement on here within a week.
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks so much, Tim. I'll check my settings tonight, and I suspect you're right -- I probably am still set on "synchro."

So if I change it to "split," then that should re-enable the tally lights when using the left-side rec button to trigger the Firestore?

And what about the rec button on the lens grip in "split" mode?
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Major Player

In synchro mode, the lights work as expected when "dual" recording to tape and drive. If the tape rolls out, the tally light starts blinking, as if recording had stopped - but the hard-drive recording continues.
The light is tied to tape in this mode.
I'm always recording tape simultaneosly for backup at this time, so haven't tested the other modes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems