Dreaded white DOT - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old July 20th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander Spies View Post
A quick update: it looks like the dots are gone! I'm going to test some more tomorrow.
Good news Sander, looking hopeful. Keep us posted!
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #47
Major Player

Richard,

Most of the people here have experienced a white dot, how come you're only seeing it when it's against a white Tshirt? or is that just when it's the most noticeable?

I personally noticed it most against darker colours, especially against black. But the dot was intermittent. Sometimes on a shoot and sometimes not. I couldn't have that, not when I had to stuff for clients.

If you have any problem with the camera at all with white dots, then I definitely recommend getting JVC to sort it for you. Two weeks without, is well worth it to get it fixed. I'm certainly glad I did.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
Good news Sander, looking hopeful. Keep us posted!
I really love this camera, but this dot thing is killing me, though I have yet to see it in a few weeks, even when recording for long periods of time. I would really like to get 2 more, especially now since they are like $7-$800. What do you think??

GC
Gary Colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #49
Tourist

White Dot

Wayne... Sorry I didn't reply right away, I was out of town. I can make mine come and go by changing the color in the shot and focus of the camera. It isn't just white I noticed... a good example (I'll upload a clip when I get time)... is that if I have it in auto focus mode... I can put my hand 6 inches in front of the lens, and the dot goes away, but as I move my hand back, the dot pops up again.

It's very wierd... but regardless, I will take your advice and send it off for repair.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Colon View Post
I really love this camera, but this dot thing is killing me, though I have yet to see it in a few weeks, even when recording for long periods of time. I would really like to get 2 more, especially now since they are like $7-$800. What do you think??

GC
I'm considering getting another myself. The white dot thing is a very isolated problem and has affected only a few of us. Since you can get it fixed easily enough through the warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. Get em while they're cheap! I don't think JVC has come up with anything as good to replace it, and I understand they're switching to AVHCD soon.

Avey
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Boyer View Post
Wayne... Sorry I didn't reply right away, I was out of town. I can make mine come and go by changing the color in the shot and focus of the camera. It isn't just white I noticed... a good example (I'll upload a clip when I get time)... is that if I have it in auto focus mode... I can put my hand 6 inches in front of the lens, and the dot goes away, but as I move my hand back, the dot pops up again.

It's very wierd... but regardless, I will take your advice and send it off for repair.

Thanks,
Richard
Cheers Richard.

Please keep us up to date on the results so we all know that we're getting things put right. It's encouraging for people who have had this problem to know that it's easily fixable.
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #52
Major Player

Dreaded white dot has reappeared.

Not happy.

Only on about half a dozen shots out of a lot of shots taken over the two weeks on hols, but never the less, it has reappeared. in a different place to last time.

Will be doing some testing over the next few days to see if I can make it come back and then it's off to the shop again.

:-(
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #53
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Boyer View Post
Sander...

Did you send yours off, or did the dot just go away. I've started noticing it on my camera, sometimes it's there for a full shot, sometimes it's not at all.
Hello Richard,
My GZ-HD7 was just one month old when I noticed the dots in the recordings. After finding out I wasn't the only one with this problem (thanks to this DV Info forum!) I went back to the store where I bought the device. They send it back for repair to the JVC HQ in The Netherlands. I had it back in less then 10 days and the dots were gone!
Sander Spies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #54
Major Player

Hi Guys

I am returning my camera on monday for the second time. They say, in the shop, that this is most unusual, but then they would wouldn't they?

Sander, how long ago was your repair? My original repair was only about 6 weeks ago.

Avey
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #55
New Boot

Quote:
Hi Guys

I am returning my camera on monday for the second time. They say, in the shop, that this is most unusual, but then they would wouldn't they?

Sander, how long ago was your repair? My original repair was only about 6 weeks ago.

Avey
Hello Wayne,
Sorry to hear about the returning dots... It's a really strange problem, even more if the dots can return and at other places! This also means that anyone who's experienced the problem has a chance to see the dots again someday.

Here's my cam history:
Date of purchase: April 28, 2008
Back to the store: June 30, 2008
Received at JVC HQ Leiden (The Netherlands) (according to the work order): July 1, 2008
I had it back on July 14, 2008

Since I've got it back I haven't used it that much (7-8 hours maybe). I'm curious what they're going to do with yours; again a software reset, or maybe replacing some hardware parts (as this is the second time you're returning it)?
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander Spies View Post
Hello Wayne,
Sorry to hear about the returning dots... It's a really strange problem, even more if the dots can return and at other places! This also means that anyone who's experienced the problem has a chance to see the dots again someday.

Here's my cam history:
Date of purchase: April 28, 2008
Back to the store: June 30, 2008
Received at JVC HQ Leiden (The Netherlands) (according to the work order): July 1, 2008
I had it back on July 14, 2008

Since I've got it back I haven't used it that much (7-8 hours maybe). I'm curious what they're going to do with yours; again a software reset, or maybe replacing some hardware parts (as this is the second time you're returning it)?
Who knows Sander, who knows…

I have (at the insistence of the shop manager) written a letter to go back with the camera, not slagging JVC off, but explaining the disappointment of a second return and that, when the cam is working, it's pretty damn great. Hopefully I struck the right note. The Shop manager also said she'd speak to the rep about it. She is aware that the best outcome would be a replacement (with a fresh warranty) but who knows. The cam shop I got it from is unusual in that the people who work there are very keen and rather good so that gives me a little confidence that they will be fighting my corner.

I'll keep you posted.
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #57
New Boot

*sigh*... Was just reviewing some shots from 2 weeks ago, and guess what... A white dot in the bottom right corner!
Demo screenshot is from some testing stuff and unedited, hence the awful color and interlacing. The second picture is three screenshots overlayed showing the location of the white dot is exactly the same as before.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreaded white DOT-dot.jpg   Dreaded white DOT-dot_overlay.jpg  

Last edited by Sander Spies; August 16th, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #58
Major Player

This is very depressing.

Since I haven't heard anything from the shop since I took it back in last monday, I'm suspecting that JVC will just repair the problem again and send it right back.
And if that happens I think I will have to sell it while it's working fine. Not happy about this at all since I have no idea what to replace it with and have various accessories specially purchased for the HD7.

I saw some footage from Steve Mullen yesterday and although he hasn't said anything in this thread, I saw three white dots on his footage! I don't know ho he stands it. As far as I am concerned it is unacceptable.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #59
HDV Cinema

Quote:
This is very depressing.

I saw some footage from Steve Mullen yesterday and although he hasn't said anything in this thread, I saw three white dots on his footage! I don't know ho he stands it. As far as I am concerned it is unacceptable.
It can be 1, 2, or 3, and then none. Seems to depend on background. As you pan they can appear and dissapear.

Not a typical dead or stuck pixel, but it must be something about the CCDs. Since mine are white -- that means the same issue on all 3 in the same place! That seems VERY unlikely. Perhaps something in the AGC that affects RGB signals at the same instant in time.

The only good thing is its SO intermittent that it's OK for "home movies." I'll bet 99/100 will never see it since they tend not to stay ON very long. One can only hope for a new version of the HD7.

PS: Did Executing PRESET ever fix anyone's camera?
Old August 22nd, 2008, 02:34 AM   #60
Major Player

Hi Steve, I didn't find a PRESET, but I did do a RESET and it didn't help. I did notice all three of your dots at one point on the kitty footage, but like you say, they come and they go.

I took literally hundreds of shots on holiday and the new dot appeared in about half a dozen of them and that was on a particularly hot day. The cam was too hot to touch on top at one point. But another day, the cam was just as hot and no white dot.

When I discovered it back at home (shock), I did some testing and, letting the camera run for the full length of the hard drive's capacity, I found the typical problem, when the cam has been running for a couple of hours, i gets quite warm and the dot reappears. I want it for more than home movies so it's not ok for me and I'm going to have to sell it when it's fixed. - And believe me, I'd rather not have to as I've grown to love this little cam over the past year, how easy it is to get some good shots and the flexibility of the manual controls and so on. Shame on you JVC for ruining a great cam with such a simple little problem!

Service sheet from last time's repair said simply: 'Updated software, serviced and realigned as required'. So not much help there I guess.

What's an AGC by the way?

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series