Dreaded white DOT - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old May 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Major Player

Kaushik,

Are you saying you have the same problem?
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #17
New Boot

Here's an example of where mine shows up. It's not nearly as bright, but it's rather persistent once it appears.
Attached Thumbnails
Dreaded white DOT-badpixel.jpg  
David Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #18
Major Player

Cheers for that David. Looks like you caught a burglar trying to make a getaway in that shot.

The example of my white dot is, I admit, the worst its ever been. Sometimes it's only about as bright as yours. BUT, if there was a chance it would reappear as bright as that, then obviously I had to do something about it.

The weird thing was, that in assembling a range of clips to put on DVD to send to JVC with the camera, I noticed that when this particular clip faded in from black, it was only a second or so afterwards when the white dot 'pinged' into view. Very odd.

The chap in the shop said, "oh it'll be a dead pixel" but if there's 3 CCDs, then it would have to be the same on all three surely? and then it would also be evident ALL the time, not just when the camera got hot.

That's my bogus theory anyway. We'll wait and see what JVC say about it, if anything.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Got the HD7 back again this afternoon, after two weeks away for repair under guarantee. The note to JVC from the shop said; 1 dead pixel on playback Approx 1/3 from top, 40% from right hand side.'

Note from JVC engineer that came back with the camera says: 'Installed software upgrade - Serviced and aligned as required.' (aligned what exactly?)

Not very helpful at all I feel, but the camera is on test as we speak and I'll see if the white dot reappears after a few hours constant filming and the camera gets good and warm.

Interesting to note that the 'software upgrade' did not alter any of my menu settings as they exactly as they were when the camera went in to the shop two weeks ago. I would have thought it would have reset everything to factory default. makes me suspicious.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #20
Major Player

That's interesting…

it's been recording for hours and it doesn't get half as warm as it did before…

Odd.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:51 PM   #21
Major Player

Well after completely filling the hard drive with 1440CBR with the camera left to run so it got warm, after reviewing the shots there's no white dot at all.

Looks promising…
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM   #22
New Boot

Hello Wayne,
Thanks for keeping us up to speed! This sounds very promising, I might go by the store this week and drop off my camera too.
Sander Spies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #23
Major Player

yes, indeed, no white dot.

I'll do some more testing today.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #24
New Boot

Fantastic! Thanks for the update. I'll look into getting mine fixed/replaced.
David Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #25
Major Player

Well I did two more lots of testing yesterday, just filling the hard drive and ten copying it to the Mac and reviewing and so far despite the camera getting quite warm, there's now evidence of the white dot.

Let's hope that's the last I've seen of it.

good luck with getting yours sorted too guys.

Wayne
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
Well I did two more lots of testing yesterday, just filling the hard drive and ten copying it to the Mac and reviewing and so far despite the camera getting quite warm, there's now evidence of the white dot.

Let's hope that's the last I've seen of it.

good luck with getting yours sorted too guys.

Wayne
Wayne,

No I have not seen any dot on my video, I am glad your HD7 is not showing anymore that white dot! Have you posted your videos online? So then I can see your work!

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #27
Major Player

Hi Kaushik,
I don't have any videos posted yet as most of my stuff has been for clients and it's not fair that I use their material on the web without permission.

I have some holiday footage (megabytage?) in SP which I shot in the States last October which I might post sometime.

Have done some more testing today and still no white dot so I'm actually starting to believe it may actually be properly fixed.

Good stuff.
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #28
Major Player

Hi Guys,

have put a couple of experimental pieces up on Vimeo

http://www.vimeo.com/user506080/videos

These were both done with the HD7
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #29
Major Player

David and Sander,

any news on your HD7s? Have they been sorted yet.

Mine still has no white dot so I'm very pleased with the outcome, just wondered about yours
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #30
New Boot

Hello Wayne!
The camera was needed last week and I need it myself this friday. Returning it for repair was not an option since I have no other HD camera to work with. Probably bring to to the store this friday after filming is done. I'll keep you posted! It's good to hear your white dot has gone!
Sander Spies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series