airline media passes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Home, Away From Home
Studio Space (Home) and Traveling Tips (Away From Home).

Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Major Player

airline media passes

What are the requirements for what I have heard from others as "Airline Media Passes"?

From what I have heard if you have a "Airline Media Pass" you can check in overweight baggage, free, and also can be allowed to have more than 2 checked bags with little or no cost. If this is correct could you lead me to a web site or pass along some more info concening this topic. Thanks
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Hmmm...some of the networks have cut deals in the past with the airlines, but I've never heard of a blanket pass.

Several of the airlines like United have a "media rate" for reduced baggage fees when you show up with multiple equipment cases, ($50 a bag, up to 70 pounds)...many no longer give the media a break. I don't know if the United media rate will survive the new baggage charges United is deploying.

Continental dropped their media rate, but the gate agents say you can call in advance to corporate HQ and arrange a special exemption. I've never tried it to see if it works with them.

The hardest part is when you get a gate agent who is convinced that:

1. There is no media rate/there never has been a media rate.
2. You must have a "network" ID badge to get the rate. This makes it tough for freelancers.

Trying to get a straight answer out of any of the airlines is tough...sometimes you can get someone in media relations at a given airline corporate offices to fill you in on their policies, but you've got to be prepared to tap dance at the ticket counter, too.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Bill, thats what I expected its all about who you get at the check in counter and if they are in a good mood or bad mood. THX again
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Major Player

it helps to fly one airline or airline group, i.e. Star Alliance.

After enough miles you will get status that gives you extra check ins as well as extra carry ons. I have Gold Status on Star Alliance and it gives me 3 checks, 2 carry ons and early boarding of the plane to make sure that my bags are safely packed on board. When on United I get the Economy Plus seats for free as well as access to all Star Alliance lounges when traveling internationally.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Major Player

And the "Gold" Star Alliance rating also gets you a 50 lb waiver to 70 lbs, if memory serves.

Since I shoot for the Food Network and HGTV frequently, I've found that many of the ticket conter agents are big fans, so chatting up the shows and giving them some info on the behind the scenes hi-jinks sometimes pays off in reduced baggage fees.

Until you run into a Gate Nazi, (or worse, a Gate Nazi training a new agent!)and then all bets are off.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Home, Away From Home