Computer not recognizing HDV thru connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old June 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Computer not recognizing HDV thru connection

I browsed a few topics, and I couldnt find any topics on this. Im having a problem with getting HDV footage onto my computer. I bought the A1U in March, and used it for a little while, and was able to capture the HDV footage using Sony Vegas Capture AND Cineform Connect HD. Between now and then sometime, something has happened. The only way I can upoad footage from my cam now is by setting it to downconvert thru the wire. Ive tried it many times on my computer with vegas and cineform, and on my buddys mac with Imovie HD. The same problem with both attempts, which must mean a problem with the camera, right? If anybody has any insight into this issue, let me know! thx!

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #2
Trustee

The usual reason why someone can't capture HDV is because HDVlink is enabled, allow the camera to behave/connect like a DV cam. But I believe your using that.

Maybe it's a partially fried firewire port? Did you ever remove/connect the firewire cable on the PC end while the PC was turned on? Did you ever remove the firewire cable from the cam end while it was still turned on? Maybe you did incurr a slight cross-over surge, just enough to kill the HDV circuits without harming the DV side? I think you need service.
Old June 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
The usual reason why someone can't capture HDV is because HDVlink is enabled, allow the camera to behave/connect like a DV cam. But I believe your using that.

Maybe it's a partially fried firewire port? Did you ever remove/connect the firewire cable on the PC end while the PC was turned on? Did you ever remove the firewire cable from the cam end while it was still turned on? Maybe you did incurr a slight cross-over surge, just enough to kill the HDV circuits without harming the DV side? I think you need service.
As far as the computer end, it was tried on two different computers. So yea, I guess its possible that the something might have gotten jacked up on the cam end. sigh....

I guess I have to send it in for service. doh!

thx, peter
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #4
New Boot

I have an HC1E and I had the same problem. I use cineform Aspect v4 and Premiere Pro v1.5.

I updated it to the latest version (v4.0.2 build54) from the cineform website and it all started working again.

I don't know if it was a coincidence or what.
Dan Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Trustee

Dan, in his original post he mentioned routinely using Vegas and cineform. That the camera just quit working. There are issues with killing firewire ports from pulling cables before powering off the connected devices. This is not just an HC1 issue, it affects many different camera's. We have to be always mindful of powering down our connected devices BEFORE pulling the DV cable.

BTW Jason, did you send it that unit in, and if so, any news?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions