Recommended Camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Tourist

Recommended Camera?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here goes:

I am looking at buying a sub-$2,500 camera (preferably tapeless, but tape would be ok). It needs to be HD. What is the best bang for the buck? What is hot right now?

In other words, if you had $2,500 dollars to spend on a camera to make a documentary, what would you buy?

Best,
Paul
Paul Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you already have: decent tripod, lighting, mics, mixer, recorder, boom, editing software etc.?

Or are you including these things in your $2500 budget?
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Paul -
I think your original post got moved to the Sony A1U section - you've got some answers already there, and there's not a lot to add...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu Terao View Post
Do you already have: decent tripod, lighting, mics, mixer, recorder, boom, editing software etc.?

Or are you including these things in your $2500 budget?
I have a great Vinten tripod, and all the other stuff. I'm strictly looking for the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Paul -
I think your original post got moved to the Sony A1U section - you've got some answers already there, and there's not a lot to add...
Yeah, I created the new post hoping to get suggestions without the influence of my previous question about the A1U.

--------------

One other thing I neglected to mention earlier: I really need it to have XLR inputs, or (in the case of something like the HMC40, a good adapter solution).
Paul Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Well, keeping in mind that the XLR is just an add-on box on the A1U, and that it may be hard to find any cams under that $2500 with XLR (new at least, maybe a used V1U could be had in that range, but it's bigger and almost as "old" as the A1U relatively speaking...), you may want to look at some of the XLR adapter boxes?
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #6
Trustee

Dave,

Panasonic HMC40/41 and JVC HM100 both come with XLR and are in that price range. (Not sure of exact US prices, I am guessing a bit on the JVC). You can certainly get the Panny for around $2200 including the XLR module.

Both are tapeless (SDHC cards - the JVC has two slots) and are pretty decent cameras.

The JVC has the edge quality wise, but I went with the Panasonic because it was cheaper and supports a Lanc-type control if required. But they are both capable cameras, both with XLR, both small, both solid state.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition