So many cameras, my brain is breaking! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Have you focused an EX1? I did a 5 hour outdoor shoot last weekend without a field monitor in sight, and my focus was on the money every shot.
Yup. I have used the EX1 several times. Awesome camcorder. But the EVF on the Z7 is head and shoulders better. The Z7 is just that much easier and quicker to nail the focus, from my experience with both cameras. Obviously you are not talking about using auto-focus. Right?

Yes tapeless work flow is cool but tapes aren't dead yet. Plentiful, cheap and readily available everywhere. Obviously, since the Z7 can do either, that is a point in it's favor.

While I haven't priced SDHC cards, I wouldn't think that they are significantly cheaper than CF cards. Plus you still have to put up with the hassle and expense of SxS to SDHC adapters.

Besides the battery expense and run time for EX1 batteries will more than tilt the scales in favor of the Z7 on the total dollars spent.

On the other hand, you forgot to mention that the EX1's XDCAM EX has silver status with the Discovery Channel. Which could have been an advantage for Dylan, for sure.

But since Dylan has already made his choice, this is all a sterile exercise anyway.

I am curious though, Perrone. Have you shot with the Z7?
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
I am curious though, Perrone. Have you shot with the Z7?
Never had the pleasure. Sounds like a neat cam.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Nelson View Post
Only problem so far is that ONE card - when trying to log and transfer in FCP - gave me an error message: '"NO NAME" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.' Its directory looks exactly the same as the directory for the dozen cards that worked... any ideas what could be wrong? What might have happened to screw it up? What is the correct directory structure for AVCHD? How might I be able to repair it? If one of the files is corrupted - how do I tell which one? And how do I fix it?
Theirs a much better chance that you’ll get people who will be able to help you if you start a new thread in here:
Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders - The Digital Video Information Network
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #34
New Boot

Of course

Thanks very much. I'll re-post.
Dylan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Nelson View Post
Its directory looks exactly the same as the directory for the dozen cards that worked... any ideas what could be wrong? What might have happened to screw it up? What is the correct directory structure for AVCHD? How might I be able to repair it? If one of the files is corrupted - how do I tell which one? And how do I fix it?
This is the kind of stuff that makes me much prefer straight MP4 files over AVCHD.

However, if you're able to read the data off of the card with your computer, you can probably recover your footage. What you're looking for is a bunch of files that end in .MTS

There's a tool: VoltaicHD | ShedWorx
and the manual process I used:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/avchd-for...-software.html

Last edited by Liza Witz; February 25th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Liza Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition