FOCUS Enhancements Now Shipping FireStore FS-4 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hey Guys,
OK, no extensive testing yet. I just shot for 15 minutes and finally got the fan to kick in. David, you're probably right. It might pick up on the on board mic if mounted to the back of the XL-2. I'll try it this weekend to see. I did this test on the GL-1 with the FS-4 on the belt clip. Definitely no problem there. Almost all of my stuff is shot with either a lav mic or wireless mics so it won't be a problem for me. If I use it on the Magiqcam it should be perfect. It will act as ballast on the sled and even should I use the on board mic, I doubt it would pick up at that distance.

Aaron...no way it would pick up anything on a boom mic.

All in all, it is pretty easy to use and I'm really happy. I'll post more after some greater testing though.
Rob
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #17
Major Player

hello matt,

i got mixed up, thought today is wednesday, and called your comp., but learned that my fs-4 unit was received on monday, but nothing processed in the customer service computer system as of today. not even as received....wow. the guy on the phone was professional and assured me "everything will be taken care off."

have a event to tape on sunday, but i guess i still have to wait before i can use the fs-4.

i am not asking you to stop what you are doing and to take care of my unit....lol

greetings

karl
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:18 PM   #18
Major Player

hello david,

well, wednesday is up and i still have no communication (e-mail, call etc) from the focus support center.
will call them thursday afternoon to find out what is going on with my merchandise.
i accept the fact that there are defect units, but getting slowly angry that they have communication problems within their customer service center, i rather should say : no communication.

greetings
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #19
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Karl Heiner : hello david,

well, wednesday is up and i still have no communication (e-mail, call etc) from the focus support center.
will call them thursday afternoon to find out what is going on with my merchandise.
i accept the fact that there are defect units, but getting slowly angry that they have communication problems within their customer service center, i rather should say : no communication.

greetings -->>>

hello david,
guess what..just came home from lunch and there is my new unit overnight...great....

so, i herbey take everything back, even there still was no communication. what matters is they have taken care of business.

powered the unit up and only "normal" start up fan noise. lets charge the batt. and try out this comming weekend.

greetings
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #20
Regular Crew

why the cost?

Just wondering why these things are so expensive? the price of a laptop for a hard drive? Its not even SCSI so why the cost, $1500 for an 80gb hdd seems just a tad expensive to me seeing as you can pick 250gb for around £100.

Can you not just capture straight to a laptop whilst shooting?
Sam Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #21
Major Player

Re: why the cost?

<<<-- Originally posted by Sam Sharpe : Just wondering why these things are so expensive? the price of a laptop for a hard drive? Its not even SCSI so why the cost, $1500 for an 80gb hdd seems just a tad expensive to me seeing as you can pick 250gb for around £100.

Can you not just capture straight to a laptop whilst shooting? -->>>

hello sam,

i think the big issue is the size and the portability, besides the firewire connection/ lenght of recording (no tape changes). try to hang a laptop on your belt.

i bet the price will fall in the next 2 years, but then...what do i know..<G>

greetings
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Got to agree Karl. The size is the best lpart. I have it mounted on the back of the XL-2. It is totally out of the way, easy to access and starts recording as soon as you hit the record on the camera. It also has a thing called Retro Cache which can constantly record the last 10 seconds even if the camera is not in record mode. The advantage is if something good happens and you weren't recording, hit the record button and the previous 10 seconds will have been captured. You can also do a loop mode that constantly rewrites the last 1 minute segment. Great for instant replays.

I've used it on 3 commercial shoots so far and love it. Quick downloads to my computer and no dropped frames. I'd love a bigger battery though. One and a half hours is just not enough. After all I don't power down the unit between takes, so the battery drains quickly, but then I have 2. If you are in the studio this is not a problem as you can run it off AC.

Laptop HD would be fine for studio shoots, but for run and gun or outdoor locations, this can't be beat.
Rob
Rob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM   #23
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

FS-4 w/ Field Kits IN STOCK!

Finally, we actually have stock! All back orders in house are shipping today - and we still have units in inventory!! http://www.videoguys.com/FireStore.html

We've got a big load of FS4Pro 80Gb units on the way to us and it too will cover all backorders! Videonics just added the following promotion on FS-4 Pro:

Purchase the FireStore FS-4Pro Bundle—featuring the FS-4Pro, FS-4Pro High-Definition Software, and the FireStore DV Conversion Suite—between May 1, 2005 and June 30,2005, and save $698* instantly.

Weighing less than one pound, the FireStore FS-4Pro Portable DTE Recorder brings Direct to Edit Technology to your handheld camcorder. With an easyto-use interface, multiple DTE recording formats, a 40GB or 80GB drive, and a removable, rechargeable battery, the FireStore FS-4Pro is the perfect DTE companion for handheld shoots. With advanced features such as time lapse, loop playback, and scene marking, the FireStore FS-4Pro provides the flexibility that video professionals demand.

FireStore FS-4Pro High-Definition Software Included free-of-charge ($299 value)
When you install the FireStore FS-4Pro High-Definition Software, your FireStore FS-4Pro will be compatible with HDV camcorders and editing systems.

FireStore DV Conversion Suite Included free-of-charge ($399 value)
Converting DV25 file formats is fast and easy with the FireStore DV Conversion Suite. In addition to converting all major DV25 formats, the software provides aspect ratio and broadcast standard conversion from DV-PAL to DV-NTSC and vice versa.

Gary

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore