12.5 or 15 FPS For Web Delivery? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 11th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #1
Major Player

12.5 or 15 FPS For Web Delivery?

Hello,

What frame rate would you recommend for delivery of videos over the web? Youtube uses 30fps at a low resolution while Blip.tv uses 15fps at a higher resolution and seems to be getting a lot of praise for quality.

Is 15fps or 12.5fps (PAL) video be considered as "good video"?

Thanks.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Too low

Both of these frame rates will give you a stuttering picture - I would suggest at least 20 fps but do your own testing and see. It also depends on the content, the more you have, the higher FR you need for smooth temporal resolution.
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Major Player

I shoot and deliver in 24fps. My JVC HD100 will shoot 24fps so I have a nice clean workflow with no FR changes.
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Both of these frame rates will give you a stuttering picture - I would suggest at least 20 fps but do your own testing and see. It also depends on the content, the more you have, the higher FR you need for smooth temporal resolution.
I just found my mistake: forgot the word "motion". the more motion you have, the higher frame rate you need. Static images are fine with low FR.
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Here are some examples in 24p and 30p with 500 x 281 and coresponding 720p files with H.264 formats.

http://www.onebikeguy.com/KakugyoBlo...t/Podcast.html

After doing a lot of research, I decided to shoot in 24p mostly then deliver HD with Bluray 24p and H.264 24p on the net.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video