DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM   #16
Regular Crew

canon a1-FW hard drive-FCP connection question

I'm planning on purchasing a 24inch imac intel with external hard drive (LaCie Big Disk Extreme with Triple Interface - 500GB External FireWire 400/800 and USB 2.0 Hard Drive with built-in RAID 0 Array - 7200rpm 16MB Buffer).
Question1: Does this drive have loop through for connecting camera through to computer.
Question 2: Do most or all firewire drives have loop through?

Question3: Does this seem like a good way to go for up to mid-level sd/hdv/hd editing?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Marty

Last edited by Martin Kornfeld; February 2nd, 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Martin Kornfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:25 AM   #17
New Boot

Pulldown

Does FCP have the ability to ingest 35mm anamorphic footage? If so what pulldown needs to be used to view it correctly? An associate mentioned to me that FCP can't pull this off but I wasn't sure and haven't messed to much with pulldown issues myself. Any place to learn about pulldown? And does anyone know how FCP deals with 35mm footage (delivered on DVCAM or DVC-PROHD, or a hard drive from a film facility)
Neil Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #18
Major Player

Help, Urgent. Glitch in footage after render...

Hey, guys... I've run into a major problem; any help would be great! I have to meet a deadline real soon! Here's what's happening. I shot some footage with the jvchd100, 24p, SD. If I watch the footage on the lcd screen of my camera, it looks fine. When I capture the footage, then import into my timeline, and drag the cruiser over the footage to preview it, it looks fine. However, after I render it, It glitches up; a bunch of horizontal lines form. My sequence preset is: DV NTSC 48 KHz Anamorphic. My capture preset is DV NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic. Devic Control Preset is FireWire NTSC. And under user preferences, for render control I have filters, frame blending for speed, and motion blur all checked... I also right clicked the footage on the time-line, went to the project properties, format... and the Vid Rate is at 29.96 fps and there is also a field dominance lower (even). Also, all the other footage I shoot is fine. However, this tape is from a different day, could it be something with the pull down removal? Perhaps I shot in 2:3 one day and 2:3:3:2, the other? I can't remeber if I did. If anybody has a solution to fix this issue, it'd much appriecated. Thanks so much.

I figured it out. Delete!

Last edited by Douglas Joseph; February 4th, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Douglas Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #19
Tourist

Transfer to tape from FCP to XH A1

Here is my Pb.
I have no Pb to tranfer my footages (25 ips) from my XH A1 on to my computer' hard drive.
Then I have no Pbs using FCP 5.1.2.
When I transfer back my footages from FCP to XH A1 something strange occurs :
looking on camcorder's viewscreen during acquisition, everything looks fine but when I later read the tape, there is a 1 second image freeze at each scene change.
On top of it, when I ask the camcorder to copy time code from source (FCP), an improper and fixed value is registered.(only loast 2 digits are flashing up and down between 2 same values)
Last but not least, this Pb do not occurs when using iMovie HD.
Have the feeling something is wrong with Timecode. It seems that at the end of each sequence, FCP believes it reachs the end ot the movie and freeze last picture before realising shows goes on !
Have contacted Apple in France who is investigating.
Anybody faced same PB?
Thanks
Marc Yreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Playback Glitching

I have about 4 hours of clips cut down from 40 hrs of 720p footage that I've been working on for about 2 months. I'm now trying to edit a montage of said footage but now whenever I playback the footage certain clips will start to glitch out and start to stutter over and over, the playhead keeps going, the canvas just stutters or it zooms in or it stutters and then the viewing area is divided into 4 quadrants with the top left one going blank. This is driving me nuts. I've set the playback quality to low and still this crap happens. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm dealing with a lacie terabyte external. While editing the 40 hours of footage this problem didn't occur but now when I try editing this new thing these glitches occur and I have no idea what's causing them or how I can make it go away and have normal playback so I can edit the damn thing. Can someone please help!?
Ralph Sturgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Problem Lines on Quicktime Export File

Hi,
I'm trying to output a file from Final Cut Pro to Quicktime and I have gotten some strange results.

FILE>EXPORT>QUICKTIME CONVERSION>VIDEO SETTINGS
Compression Type: Motion JPEG B
Quality: Best
SOUND SETTING (I left as default)

The attached clip is done with Compression Type H.264 and Quality Low so that I could get the file size small enough to post it here. The strange results that I get with the H.264 file are the same as Motion JPEG B. Changing the quality setting results in the same problems. I also tried Sorenson Video and MPEG-4 Video - which gave the same result as the others. I did try the DV/DVCPRO - NTSC compression which gave me a file without problems. I would however prefer that it be a Motion JPEG B type of file. The short example clip is part of a longer scene of about 1 minute that has been sped up 1600%.

I am using:
QuickTime™ Version 7.1.3,
Final Cut Pro 5.0.4
Mac OS X 10.4.8
1.67 Ghz PowerPC G4
1GB DDR SDRAM
250 GB Lacie external drive (20GB free)

Thanks for any advice!
Tim
Attached Files
File Type: mov ztest1.mov (1.33 MB, 190 views)
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Inner Circle

HDV editing - Calibrating the output of Apple's DVI to video adapter

I've had different experiences with the Apple DV to Video adapter depending on the computer I am using. My laptops will put out a very good picture just by attaching it but my G5 outputs a terrible image. I tried several times to calibrate the output using the Display preferences but would always end up with strange color gradations.

Since I need to make DVDs of works in progress for clients and HDV requires some sort of rendering to output, I want to be able to run a video signal straight to a DVD recorder without the time wasted on a render. The MacBook Pro makes this easy but I don’t edit long form projects on it. I did a search and found a simple tool to help me calibrate the G5 video output.

I am certain this method will help anyone would needs a quick and economical output of their HDV project from FCP without rendering back to HDV tape.

What you need is an Apple DVI to Video Adapter on the second monitor port.
A television monitor.
A waveform monitor.
A pure RGB black to RGB white gradient going horizontally. A wonderful photography site called Dry Creek Photo has a GIF you can download (http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/C..._gradient.htm). This GIF has two gradients going in opposite left/right directions which is a help.

First calibrate the TV monitor using a regular video signal (color bars).

Make sure you can send the computer video to both the TV monitor and the waveform monitor. Either via a DA or by looping. Remember to terminate the signal if your monitor doesn’t do it automatically!

Place the gradient on the TV screen and open the Display Preference in System Preferences. I found that 800 x 600 interlaced works best on this particular G5 to display HD video. Click on “Options” and check “Overscan”. The “Best for Video” box introduces some softening of details, that’s your call.

Click on color and pick NTSC/PAL. Click “Calibrate”. At this point you might find it necessary to move the gradient and the calibration windows around so you can get as clear a view of the gradient as possible. The waveform should have an X pattern on it that’s created by the gradient GIF. The waveform of the calibration window will also be visible but that won’t disturb the calibration.

Ignore the first step with the oval (you should have set the TV monitor to a regular video signal before starting this). The next set of steps has a slider to the left of the gray Apple logo in a box. Do not follow Apple's instructions as these only work for computer monitors. You'll be observing the waveform from now on for calibration. Adjust each slider to make the X pattern’s lines as straight as possible. You’ll see how each step changes a different part of the gradation. Ideally the white area should hit 100% while the black will stop at 7.5%. To the right of the Apple is a box with crosshairs, this adjusts color balance. I didn’t need to change this but if you do you’ll want to eliminate any chroma on the X pattern. You can see this on the waveform monitor if it’s set to “Flat”. The lines of the X should be sharp, not fuzzy. A vectorscope will work only if the GIF and the calibration window are the only images on the screen.

After you finish the slider steps you’ll come to a Gamma adjustment. Adjust it so the X is as straight as possible. The color point step is the same as the color balance, eliminate any chroma that might be in the x pattern.

Save the calibration.

That’s it. An acceptable image for production screeners.

Now there are a few things to remember. This is not a perfect video signal! There is a bit of image level compression introduced, black levels start at 7.5 and white tops at 100%. HDV starts at 0% and goes over 100%, at least to 110% depending on the camera. The color looks good but I would not use it for color correction!

Great for creating temporary client screeners and you’ve spent all of $30.
Old February 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #23
Regular Crew

FCP Class in Miami/South Florida?

I'm thinking of taking a class. Can anyone in South Florida recommend a place to do so? I found a listing for a company called Future Media Concepts, anyone ever heard of them and know if they are any good?

thanks,

Brett
Brett OBourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #24
Regular Crew

cluster with Xserve/Mac Pro

Hello,
I am looking for information about building a cluster with Xserves or Mac Pros. I have a client which needs to convert hdv and uncompressed SD video into mpeg-4 (h.264) clips very fast. I thought building a cluster might be a good idea. Does anybody have any experience with it? Is it even a good idea or are there other (better) options.

Thank you,

Michael
Michael Althaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #25
Major Player

Can't capture 24p HD

Hey, guys. I'm unable to capture footage shot in 720p hd, 24p with the jvc hd110. I have the newest version of FCP. Is there a particular capture preset I need to use? I keep getting the error that no device is detected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #26
New Boot

DVCPRO 1080P export to .DV, am I losing quality?

After suffering with downgrading HD to SD work for export onto a demo reel..I discovered that it's very easy to export to DVstream and maintain proportions. Of course I am losing quality by downgrading to SD, but am losing more than if I was exporting to a quicktime .mov (DVpal)? More simply, is a DVstream got the same info. in it than a quicktime .mov of the same size?
Jonathan Lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Long shot...downloadable DVD Studio Pro 4 templates?

Just a thought.

Has anybody found any good resources for this?

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #28
Tourist

Fcp And Multiple Video Cards

Hi all!
I'm thinking of upgrading a little bit my FCP/ProTools setup:
I have a Quad G5 with an old Apple Cinema Display and an Epson video projector connected. Right now I'm looking into stepping up to a 3 way video set up (22" Cinema, Epson and a 17" lcd as second desk monitor).
Has anyone tried anything like this? Does anyone have any idea wether I might be better of with a second graphic card (GeForce 6600) or splash on a Hdmi I/O (Decklink Intensity, not yet supported on the G5)? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated!!!
Thanx,
Luca
Luca de Sensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #29
Major Player

Can't get footage 16:9 on iDVD

Hey, everyone. I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. All right, when I export my project from FCP, as a QT movie, everything is in frame; nothing is cut off. However, after I print to a dvd through iDVD a few inches are cut off on the sides... Here are my settings: Compression: H.261, Frame rate: 24: dimesinons 647x410 (current). Under the size tab in movie setting for exporting, I have the option to choose preserve aspect ration using letter box... Should this be checked? I'm jumping all around here: Also, in my timeline for final cut pro, the opening sequence plays in widescreen (there are black bars) the rest of my footage play in final cut pro without black bars, but there's nothing cut off. After it's been burnt to a dvd, the opening sequence plays with black bars... but the rest doesn't, and sides are cut off. This is so weird, because in the QT movie this ISN'T happening. It's only after it's burnt to a dvd... Hopefully one of you gurus out there can figure this out... This is an event I shot, and has to be sent out in a couple days... :S
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Sonnet's G5 Jive pro's con's?

Hi. Anyone experience using the Jive5 three drive internal enclosure for the Power Mac G5? I'm concerned about: 1) heat build up running three more drives - SATA at that (they do tend to run hotter). 2) Can the OEM power supply handle the extra current draw? 3) Would the fans not be constantly running? 4) Is it necessary to get the four plug PCIe card as I intend on RAID 0 striping - can they be strung together before going into the card requiring only one cable to the board? Any thoughts from those who have used this set-up. Thanks.
Gary Siu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite